Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to outfit my daughter with a recurve and looking for suggestions. She is 9yrs old and not real strong. I have a 19" morrison gen 2 riser I was thinking about putting some light weight short limbs on, but not sure it will be low enough weight for her to pull. I also thought about one of the composite recurves(pse club) from Las. The morrison would allow her to move up in weight as she grew, but I dont want her overbowed either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/pse-club-bow-66-recurve-bow.html

SF Axiom limbs come in shorts at 14lbs, believe the morrison is +8.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/w-w-sebastian-flute-axiom-plus-recurve-limbs-27800.html

Samic has a 10lb in medium length, bummer it isnt offered in short.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/samick-privilege-recurve-limbs.html

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
My shooting buddy has a PSE Snake youth bow he takes with him whenever someone from his work or other friends want to give archery a try. He got it at Cabela's for around $35. It is ambidextrous, 60" AMO, draws about 20#@28", and is made of a moulded one-piece composite that seems to be quite durable. It may be a bit bottom-rung compared to what you may be looking for, but it has been through the hands of many a new shooter (child and adult) and has taken some beatings and still shoots just fine.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was at the NaSP National event in Louisville Kentucky 2 weeks ago and Jim Belcher with SKY archery had a Breeze longbow and recurve built just for kids....most of them were 24-28# @28" wood handle with green,purple,pink or blue limbs...I seen kids from 7-17 shooting them and very well...I think they are about $150.00 but not sure.

Dewayne

Reactions: kenn1320

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
The PSE/Samick/greattree/Ragim Polaris bows are pretty good starters, they are as short as 48" and upto 64" depeding on the riser. Weights go down pretty low. They run about $100.

The Cartel riser (polyamide) is a nice way to go too. Riser is about $50 limbs about the same.

The risers are pretty light which is good for the youngsters

dave

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I'd go for one of the Sage/Polaris/Cartel riser and limb combinations. Specifically get the 62" riser since it's a bit lighter.

The limbs are dirt cheap and shoot just fine. The polymer risers are cut far enough past center to use a plunger effectively if that is something you want.

-Grant

Reactions: kenn1320

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was at the NaSP National event in Louisville Kentucky 2 weeks ago and Jim Belcher with SKY archery had a Breeze longbow and recurve built just for kids....most of them were 24-28# @28" wood handle with green,purple,pink or blue limbs...I seen kids from 7-17 shooting them and very well...I think they are about $150.00 but not sure.

Dewayne
They are $185 Dewayne.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
A lot of kids learn pretty well with the Genesis bows. Even though they have cams, they are finger shot and do not have let off. They also cover a wide range of draw lengths.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I've bought several of the Sammick-Sage bows for beginners. They're a little over a hundred bucks and you can buy limbs for them fairly cheap.

The Genesis also isn't a bad idea. It's also a very versitily bow both in draw weight and length.

Tom

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Hank/Tom for the genesis suggestion, that has been on my radar for awhile(have a wanted add on AT :D).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.