Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting traditional archery a long time now, but mostly "in a vacuum." I don't go to shoots and only know two other traditional archers where I live. Using string wax is one of those things I do out of habit without really knowing why. With all the new string materials out there I got to wondering if it is really beneficial or necessary anymore. I can't see where it makes a difference in performance and it invariably gets on my limbs. Does it really make strings last longer? Does it help quiet them? Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts and habits regarding this practice. Thanks - John
:geek:

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I tend to wax mine after shooting in the rain, not sure why, but I agree with Matt, I think it is just to prolong string life really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That is the main idea behind using string wax prolonging the life of the string. a string giving way a full draw ain't a purty thing. If you make your own probably not a REAL need, but if you buy them why you don't need to spin money as often.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since the strings I build for myself are "borne of wax", I will wax them again when they feel "dry" ... not often, but as needed when noticed.

It doesn't take much (I use the natural and fragrant beeswax) to pep them back up to speed. Any residue is easily removed (and sniffed once again for meditative purposes).

Replenishing what was originally within the string's construction in order to maintain integrity within the micro-movements of the strands against one another seems logical.

I don't notice flight issues when a string is in need of wax. I also don't notice any engine issues when my car is in need of an oil change.

I simply perform this infrequent maintenance to keep the string "as good as new" for the duration of its lifespan upon its bow.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
I use wax because I don't like the look of fuzzy strings!

In theory it's also supposed to stop them from absorbing water (such as in the rain) which would make them heavier, and therefore your arrow would drop more. Not sure anyone has put this to the test with new string materials.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll keep waxing my strings periodically, but will look into some of the more modern waxes. Steven B, thanks for the informative link. I'm sorry I didn't search for it before posting. - John

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll keep waxing my strings periodically, but will look into some of the more modern waxes. Steven B, thanks for the informative link. I'm sorry I didn't search for it before posting. - John
==============

Hello
String snot wax is a new modern string wax. They also have one for 3 D arrows.Its great. I also use it on my bolt threads [ Later

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
When I shot Dacron I was religious about keeping them waxed up.

With the newer strings, I don't think it's as important.
So I use very little on the new FF type strings.
Only for fuzz and rain really.

Too much wax in your loops can make noise as it slaps home.
So I keep my loops just shiny looking an no more for that reason.

Too much wax is like too much grease, it attracts dirt which them forms an abrasive, which then works in between the strands,,,,not good.

John.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Fisher Cat ...
Hi John and welcome to TT.
I had exactly the same thoughts as yourself when I started the thread that Steven has attached the link too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
after a while my strings seem to fuzz up if not waxed down on occasion. I would feel confident that an occasional waxing extends string life to an unknown extent.
:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use very little wax due to hunting in cold (below 15 degrees) the wax string will cause a little noise, which resulted in a blown shot when ground hunting. Used to warm the string up to remove the wax for this reason. As others stated will apply when I see a little fuzz/fray. Good hunting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts