Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite R/D bow? And why? I've been wanting to get a hybrid bow for some time and wondering what you guys shoot. If I get one I'll be using it for hunting, off the shelf, 26" draw. Any recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I don't own one but judging from comments from people I know who do seem to like Leon Stewart's Slammer and Kegan McCabe's Omega. The Omega is a plainer bow with a cheaper price but is long on performance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My favorite is 'Wild Thang', a petite little bamboo/osage/osage tri-lam I made about a year ago. It's only 58" nock to nock, 58# @ 28", and weighs just 14 ounces. That said, I have one half done now that I expect to like even better. Sorry, no brand names here :^)

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I have an Omega. Exceptional bow for the money. I think it looks pretty good (mine is a dark walnut stain), but it really shines in performance. I'm shooting about 9GPP and averaging 189fps. That is right up there with my RCX17 with TT Extreme BF limbs.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
I had a real nice Leon Stewart Slammer, wish I had it back.

Reactions: 4444

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've had a 64" McCullough Griffin and a 64" Big Jim Buffalo bow. Both were very nice bows. The Griffin was probably the quietest bow I've ever had, the Buffalo Bow was easily one of the most beautiful and well finished bows I've ever had. I would recommend either.

I no longer have them simply because I decided to stick with recurves.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Wes Wallace Royal [email protected], 66in long. I have had the chance to shoot quite a few different R/D longbows over the years. For some reason my Wallace just feels right.
Another bow that I have shot is the Morrison and it was a pleasure to shoot. The A&H is another but some of the grips are to high for me.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had a 64" Centaur with XTL in it, and now have a 21" Hoyt with Centaur ILF limbs on it. I really liked the one piece, it was a real beauty! The ILF version is a real screamer, but I haven't gotten it tuned yet... in fact am in need of arrows for it! HA! I am a fan of Jim Neaves at Centaurs work on longbows!

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You guys really need to work on the name.
These are not longbows.
These are not recurves.
These are not hybrids either.
These are a classic modern American stringbow that captures the best of all of the old school.
These are the string bow of the future.

Amen.
John.

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
1 pc, Norm Armstrong (Tasmania) r/d "longbow" leatherwood riser, carbon and boo limbs. He made the lot, even laid up the carbon strips himself. Way ahead of his time and no longer making them. Pity.

3 pc, best performer, acs cg legend longbow limbs on any riser.

3 pc, best alrounder, Das/Sky carbon/foam limbs on a 17" Das brownie. This one I would hunt with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts