Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I really fee l like 15 yards is a dead deer ever time... I did kill my first deer at about 20 yards...

I can hit pretty consistent out to 20 yards in my back yard but we all know that 15 feet up in a stand in the woods is a whole different ball game... I was just curious about how some of you veteren traditional archers feel is you comfort zone???

·
Registered
323 Posts
On a deer, 25yards...maybe 30 if everything is right.

Beyond that I feel the odds drop off real quick, and it has nothing to do with someones ability to make the shot, rather a deers ability to not be there when the arrow is.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I agree that even though I may be able to hit something beyond 30 yards, the animals ability are maximizing way short of that, and that has to be considered as a factor. Lately I have been working on the thought that it's the "shot solution" that determines how consistently one can hit any target, with any weapon. Free handing a rifle at a moving targets isn't going to yield you any more consistent accuracy than shooting your bow with poor attention paid to your form. It seems every shot situation requires patiently waiting for each detail of the solution to play itself out. Getting your feet right, finding your range, steading your nerves, following your shot sequence. Distance, is just one of those factors, albeit a major one. Comfort comes from knowing you've waited, allowing things to set your self up, to make a killing shot. Snapping off a prayer shot before that feeling happens, isn't going to be comfortable, nor consistent nor clean. One may throw up a duck and get a lucky hit, that happens to, but all to often the results of doing that are just plain ugly..

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
25-30 right now, but it's amazing that if you start shooting LONGER distances how things change and very quickly.

I have been thinking about my hunting this year and how I was so APPREHENSIVE to shoot past 30...well yesterday I was LOGGING (getting firewood for the winter).

I had some judo's and after about 2 hours I thought I would take a break and do some stump shooting.

I started off short - 10 yards - 25 - 30 - and then I just felt GOOD.

Rick W always says " DON'T THINK SO MUCH"...have that child like confidence and good form and it will find a way to do it.

So I Drew back at a clump of twigs WAY OUT THERE.....Something didn't feel right so I let down.....(it was my concentration level and that is the most important thing now after the form for me.

So I really concentrated and try to make the object as small as possible...I Drew and hit anchor...settled for a bit to give my bow arm a chance to settle in aand get steady.

The shot just kinda went off......it was a long shot by my standards and I just watched the arrow fly...very cool....it hit right in the middle of the clump..WOW...I even impressed myself.

I paced it off and it was 59 paces...So I got real warm and fuzzy inside.

So I cleaned the arrow off (we have 4" of snow) and mud....So I picked something a bit closer..it was over 40 so I concentrated....drew..steady arm....let fly....I was 2" high and 2" to the left (probably jerked my bow arm a tad) but still it was pretty good shot

paced it off and it was 53 yards.

So now I am PUMPED.....I looked at something across a little dip in the field.....this was one of those underwear tearing shots (a long long one).

I concentrated...drew...anchor on the ear lobe...steady arm and let fly.....I just watched that arrow fly..so cool (you don't get to see that when you shoot 10 yards)...then it hit....I was 6" to the left but dead on the height.....it was 73 yards.

Then all hell broke loose for the next two shots cause somehow my MIND wanted to get involved and it tried to aim it so it had my bow arm second guessing itself....Missed a 40 yarder and a 20 yarder..crap.

But what this proves to me is that I CAN DO IT if i just TRUST myself.

Well it was cool for me anyway...maybe not for you guys.

Jer

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes since i've started shooting this bow ive noticed that i have gotten a lot more patient because im forced to now...

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
My furtherest hunting kill was 41yds. I took it because I'd practiced to 40yds for a whole year for this particular hunt. Most all other bow kills have been between 15 and 25yds.

Tom

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
When the new trad shooters show up at the range and start asking about how good do they need to be to hunt with stickbows, in other words, How far must they be able to hit every time? They're anxious because it's different from the compound.

I usually tell them if they hunt from a treestand then five yards will most likely do, they just have to wait till that shot presents itself.

My longest shot was 23 yds. on a hog, 16 yds. buck with an old compound, and all my stickbow deer 8 yds. and under. I practice plenty to be ready for a 40 yd. shot on elk when that day comes, but have had lots of elk closer and no opportunity or blew it.

You know how far you can shoot and hit the "pieplate" every single time and you know when it's not a good idea, but do it anyway. There aren't any bowhunting referees in the woods ,so it's all up to yourself.

If you are set up in the right place and wait, you will have 5-10 yd. shots. I personally have a 15ish yd. limit on whitetails for different reasons even though I consider myself a better than average shot.

Bowhunting is a very personal thing, have a good time no matter the rest of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts