Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this in a different forum and didn't get any responses. So, I thought I'd try it here as well.

I'm new to archery, and, as I wait for my bow to get here, I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to use as a target. I've seen the threads on here about building a wood frame and covering it with target material or getting a target bag replacement cover and stuffing either one with rags, clothing, plastic wrap, etc. I've also seen a YouTube video in which a man makes a cube target (18"x18"x18") out of carpet, carpet padding, and duck tape among other materials. My question is whether or not anyone has thought of or tried to take a target bag replacement cover and stuffing it with a mixture of carpet/carpet padding? Would this be feasible? Would it be too heavy to hang on a frame (wood or PVC)? I know there would be a problem with moisture (as the carpet and padding would definitely retain moisture if they got wet). I ask this because I have excess carpet lying around and, frankly, I can't think of a better use for it. You have all been at this much longer than me and have probably heard/seen/tried most things. I'd love any input you could give me.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I made a layered carpet target, and while it works, it's not great. I get bounce backs, not sure how but I do. I've shot bag targets, have one now that I've shot out. I personally prefer the layered foam targets. I don't like the way arrows don't stay straight in the target when shooting a bag target. It makes it easy to hit the side of arrows and cause damage. With layered foam, the arrows truly stick in a certain distance and held straight for the most part. Also pinning targets to a layered target is much easier.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Carpet is a decent material to use as stuffing but as stated above it isn't hole or foolproof and you will very likely get "bounce backs." I find that shrink wrap works better and is a whole lot lighter but be sure to pack it tightly.

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Hello
Really can't see carpit as a bag stuffing.
After saying that carpit is a find arrow back stop laid flat and cut in 16 inches strips in width.And to the length of your target you want to build.

Build a wooden base platform.Take 2x8 board for the top and bottom. Letting the bottom 2x8 stick out on both sides of the base platform about 3 inches.

Now drill a 3/4 inch hole in each end of the 2 pieces of 2x8 board.
Buy a piece of 1/2" all thread rod. Cut 4 piece 8 to 10 inches long.

Buy 2 piece of galvanize water pipe .Cut the pipe to work with your all thread length. To gain the height of your target using your 2 -2x8 inch boards.

Weld your 4 pieces of all thread. One on each end of the water pipe.
Buy 4 big washer and 4 pc 1/2 inch nuts.

================
Now start stacking your carpit strips higher than you want your target to be.
Place your 2x8 board on top of the stacked carpit strips.
Add your pipe rod to each side of your stack. With the all thread now in the 2x8 board holes. Place washer and a nuts on your all thread.

Now start tightening down your top board to compress your carpit strips.

========
You can buy a piece of foam. For the facing. And use green snap cap nails to hold your target on.
If every you start getting arrows to be sticking out .Just start tighten down your top board.[ Later

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Carpet is used in making range targets, however it is stacked and compressed. Put carpet on a pallet, stack it and use straps or banding to compress it. Arrolast makes them for commercial ranges also.... as an example of what you can do:

https://www.arrolast.com/rangemaster48/

These are compressed carpet bales that the edges have been sprayed with a rubber like substance for weather proofing?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Carpet bales do work well but if you compress them too much you will get bounce outs. I believe the commercial ones that Ren is talking about have soemthing very much like truck bed-liner sprayed on them to keep things waterproof.

They are extremely heavy (gotta be over 200# for 48x48") though so if you are looking for something to carry around I'd look elsewhere.

-Grant

·
Registered
150 Posts
i put up 2 pieces of heavy carpet for a backstop behind my target. to my surprise, my 20 lb old bear recurve shot thru both and broke the tip when it hit the block behind the rugs, sending the plastic knock flying back at me...ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback! I really appreciate it. I was thinking more of cutting squares the size of the bag, stacking them, and compressing them, then putting that square into the bag. All of you have made it abundantly clear that that won't work. I was just thinking about a way to make a target cheaply. Currently, I'm using a double-walled cardboard box stuffed with clothes and a piece of furniture foam (like the stuff you'd use to make a cushion for a chair). That's working thus far even though I need more stuff to fill it with. I might have to make a trip to Goodwill and get some cheap blankets or something.
I had never really thought about using it as a backstop like you (Grant, Unk, and rsarns) mentioned. Though, with the fact that, somehow, I managed to shoot an arrow through the ever so tiny space between the pickets of my privacy fence, I'm now considering something like Unk laid out. I guess I'll have to weigh out the cost effectiveness (read "cheapness") between just buying a bag target and finding/buying enough material to fill a bag. Thanks again for your great insights!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Industrial shrink wrap is generally available anywhere that receives goods on a pallet and it stops arrows very well.

Stuff some in a doubled-up burlap sack and you will have a durable target for nothing or very little.

3 layers of loosely hanging carpet can provide a safe backstop for light bows, but it must be hanging.

-Grant

·
Registered
192 Posts
I put a resonse on the other thread last night, anyway layerd carpet will work but is heavy and more of a temporary thing, and it should be kept dry. I seen one target placed on a kids play wagon. They used it to move it in and out of their storage shed.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Screen material works if you can get larger scraps from a local window place. Pack it very tightly into a burlap sack. I've shot out several bag targets and I reuse the screen. I have also torn apart a few store bought targets that friends were going to toss and made myself new ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Old roofing or wall insulation material.

Best thing ever invented for bag targets.
Will stop anything and then it's two finger arrow removal.

John.
Are you talking about the rolls of insulation or the sheets? I thought about the 4'x8' sheets of 2" foam, but those tend to break easily, they wouldn't self-repair the holes from arrows. I hadn't thought about rolled insulation. That could work as a stuffing.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
even plastic grocery sacks will work if you can find enough to really compress and fill your sack.
That's probably the best medium ever for a portable target and the price is right. I just saved them for a couple of months and stomped them down tight inside of a feed bag, and zip tied the top. I actually use one made this way in a spare bedroom for indoor practice and one outside as well. Simple and honest two finger arrow removal.
My everyday target is a bale press similar to what Unk described using hay bales. Here is a basic diagram, maybe you can get past the crudeness. It was a quick Paint thing for another forum...

·
Registered
6,444 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Longrifle, that's an awesome target idea! I love the way you've got it set up like a press to compress the hay bales. Ingenious! Unfortunately, I need something that I can carry. While I have some room on my property to shoot, I can't really leave it up year-round.

Grant, those were the exact bags I was thinking about. While they're cheap, shipping is ridiculous. For one bag ($10.00 for the bag itself) the shipping is $11.00. I can get similar products from places like Lancaster and be able to save on shipping by getting other things I need at the same time. That's actually what prompted me to start this thread. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it financially to buy an empty bag/cover and fill it myself or simply buy a full bag target. The end product that I want is a bag target which can be hung from a frame. I have the materials to build a collapsible A-frame from wood. I just need to figure out the best way to get the target. I have excess carpet from installing carpet in my house last year. I thought if I could fill the bag with that (or some other free/cheap material), it'd be worth the money saved to purchase the bags you have linked or go with one form LAS/3 Rivers/etc. and fill it myself. If I can't find enough material to stuff one of those bags with, then I might just end up buying a complete target somewhere. I found some for the $30-$40 price range which isn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
The most practical DIY bag target for seems to be a synthetic "burlap bag". ( the old natural fiber bags will rot away) that has been packed full of salvaged shrink wrap. I have made and used any number of them for my own and family use.
The trick is finding ones the right size. Some when stuffed are too small and others can be too big to be manageable. I made one once from a farm seed supply "Bulk bag" it ended up a 4 ft cube and was just too stinking big to be useful. The bags I use not are about the size of the 80-100 pound bags you find at big box lawn/garden supplies filled with mulch or potting soil. I usually put grommets in the corners before filling (taking care not to pack the corners so hard that they pull out) and hang them with old bungees from a old salvaged black iron pipe frame. I use the long bungees to put a safety gap between the intended target and the pipe. I always hang them so the length is horizontal.
The last couple I made have inexpensive ethafoam "broadhead targets" inside against the bag with the compressed shrink wrap packed between the foam slabs. It does add to the initial cost but I find it helps with long term durability and usability.

Repeated arrow strikes will eventually shred the fibers of the bag and double bagging seems to help with longevity. Some of the plastics used seem to break down over time with UV exposure. With any plastic target the friction of impact can cause the plastic of a block or the filler bags to melt just a little and you can get a film deposit on the arrow tip that needs to be scrubbed off periodically.

while carpet may not make the best target, although its better than some things IF it can be kept dry. several layers of it in 4x4 squares, loosely spaced, and hung freely by their upper edges, will make a good "safety back-stop". The totally synthetic indoor-outdoor type probably will hold up to the elements better

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
I use carpet as a backstop. 3 each 4'x4' squares hung vertically and back to back. Thus, 3 layers with 1/4 gap between the layers. Stops my arrows with no damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.