Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Tradtalk community!
My products recently got a lot of interest and some of the inquiries were about whether I could manufacture the Black Thunder as a shorter version, e.g. for hunting.
So, I am thinking about designing a short version of the BT in 21" as a Black Hunter or so.
Over here in Europe the demand probably would not be extremely high because hardly any bow shooter goes hunting. In most countries over here bowhunting is strictly prohibited.
The main market probably would be in the US. My concern is, whether a short Black Hunter would attract shooters. And here it comes to Tradtalk as the largest internet community of archers who go hunting, that I know.
Any ideas?
Would a 19" Black Hunter be more attractive than a 21" riser?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
For hunting I prefer a 19 with medium limbs giving me a 62" bow. The 19" tradtech seems to be very popular recently.

·
ryan brodrick
2,128 Posts
The shorter the riser the more you run into problems with a too-short sight window. If you can emphasize the sight window height then both are good lengths.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Black Hunter, even in 19", would be a quite heavy riser.
Do hunters prefer lightweight risers over heavier but steadier risers?
I would try to keep the overall geometry and balance of the Black Thunder model, but in a more compact form.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
19 incher, Lots of 17’s, 15’s and 21’s.

Very few 19’s

BUT, Remember the hunters over here are generally a very tight bunch of people. Most have moths fly out when they open their wallet

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
A good fairly heavy 19 inch riser to hunt with would definitely be of interest. My das gen l and das gen ll are prime examples of a 17 inch that is exceptional. However my hunting bows that I still use are 64 and 66 inches long. While I use the das bows in 3d and to hunt, if they were 64 or 66 inches long I would like them better.

Build one or two and troll them around. Never can tell

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
19 incher for sure.....plenty of other sizes out there.
there is a shortage on 19"ers as noted by the others.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I like a heavy riser. Most hunters like a shorter bow. Now, a 21 incher could be interesting used for target with long limbs, and hunting with short limbs.

Do you think a 29-29.5" draw would be realistic with a 21" riser and short limbs (62" bow)?
Will there be a lot of deflex in the riser?

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Yes

I would be very interested in a 19 inch riser

Maybe a 21 but most definitely a 19

In fact if you want an order for one let me know :)

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
The Black Hunter, even in 19", would be a quite heavy riser.
Do hunters prefer lightweight risers over heavier but steadier risers?
I would try to keep the overall geometry and balance of the Black Thunder model, but in a more compact form.
Heavy dead in the hand risers

Of course all with in reason

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
If you look at the metal riser competition..... the DAS type is probably the most expensive (???), would archers pay what a Black Hunter might cost?

Would a shorter Vanquish be a better idea?

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
A 19" Black Hunter would get a lot of guys drooling around here. :D

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If you look at the metal riser competition..... the DAS type is probably the most expensive (???), would archers pay what a Black Hunter might cost?

Most start the butt pucker factor at around 4-500 bucks. Very few would go for it if its over 500.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts

Bernardini [email protected]", and [email protected]" are probably at the top of the price spectrum. Not alot of them floating around in the used market. I would expect a Stolid riser to be comparable.
I think I could make room in my stable for a 19 Stolid. :p

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Let me tell you what I like about a 21". I hunt from a crawl. I don't the physics but I can get an arrow settled down in less distance out of a 21". I draw 26.5" to the button. From an 20 yard crawl that puts me just at the end od the sweet spot on most short limbs. I like the cycle time of short limbs when hunting. I like the ergency feel of the loose.

Not many hunters hunt from a crawl. Most are gappers or poke and hope. A 21" riser, pair of short limbs about 40#, 20 yard crawl and then gap the point for distance, well put pig in the freezer.

If you work on your tune you can have the arrow shooting through a hole with no tare at 10 yards.

21" riser is a killer not a hunter. Aim from a crawl and eat well for all! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ok Getting all excited now ...... Holger what about a 23 inch version in either the BT or Vanquish ? Please ...... for the girlies and the maybe some guys who have shorter draws. I emailed a while ago about the Vanquish but alas my short arms are a curse ! I dont want to hunt, just shoot some fita field with it so give it some thought.

Joanne

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for your replies and your thoughts on this topic.
So, as a first result, I would rather shrink the Black Thunder to 19" than to 21"
That is a quite radical diet that I have to apply to the Black Thunder an it would not be that easy.
I'll keep you informed about further developments.
As some of you mentioned, the price is a critical aspect and I am sure, that I will definitely not be able to offer a Black Hunter for under $500. That would perhaps be possible, if I could sell 500+ units per year and having it milled in China, but not with some tens of units per year and having the machining done in Germany.
Holger

1 - 20 of 89 Posts