·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys this is a boring video of me working on one aspect of my shot on the bail

Coming to anchor

Some of you are very into critiquing form so have at it

I am looking for flaws and comments

I am three weeks into engraining .things and tonight I just wanted to concentrate on anchoring the same spot and not leaning into the string

Comments

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Sure not a coach but gone down the same road you are on. I ended up having to slow down my draw to anchor speed.

I notice you and I have the same problem. If I draw quickly I end up over drawing a fraction of an inch and have to let down a small bit to anchor. Then I have to regain my muscle and restart the expansion.

So hard to get out of this habit.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure not a coach but gone down the same road you are on. I ended up having to slow down my draw to anchor speed.

I notice you and I have the same problem. If I draw quickly I end up over drawing a fraction of an inch and have to let down a small bit to anchor. Then I have to regain my muscle and restart the expansion.

So hard to get out of this habit.
I am trying to work thru it

The overdraw and come in was a bad fix for a snap shooting habit from many years ago

It still shows up know and than

I will work on it

Thanks Rusty

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Remember what rod says bud.......work only ONE thing at a time.....stance 10 shots....grip on bow hand 10 shots....etc etc.

Get the first part right and solid before moving on.....just something you don't have to think about real hard....get it engrained.....

your not so concerned about the rest of the shot although you are going to know what is right and what is not for YOUR shot sequence...but bite it off slowly in chunks so its easier for you.

great stuff and good patience bud.

jer

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I would also say...slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww the draw.....you are very strong and use to muscleing the bow

use those back muscles and get real smooth to your anchor like Rusty said.

Trying not to go past your anchor.....

BIG THING.......

Don't shoot everyone if it's not right HARD TO DO...let down MORE ok...jer

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Also where you are starting your bow from......is that what Rod taught you?

Will you hunt like that....maybe have the bottom limb down between your legs where they can take the weight of the bow between shots too ala Rick Welch.

Sure you know this but you need to slowwwwwwwwwwwww down maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

it's hard when you are videoing because you want to get lots in and not make the film to big.

I would say you shot 3 times more shots in that video than you needed to...if you over draw your anchor bud ...just let down.......regroup...take 30 seconds to think about it....whatever it takes.....its a light bow so we all tend to over draw.

You are still anchoring a bit like the OLD draw...but that's ok....you are working on it...right

not about how many we do...it's how many we do perfectly.

Not great advice from a guy with no bow eh!!! and canadian to boot, but if there is one thing I learned from Rod it's that ppl don't let down enough and they go too fast because they are over bowed (not overbowed in your case though).

Hey it's coming that's the bright side......right.

Keep it up.....slow down...and let down....no shame in that...its how we all would be better...jer

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Joe shoot with your eyes closed all you can do is feel the shot. Looking good !
Shooting with one's eyes closed is a two edged sword IMO. I know there are some who advocate it… personally I don't, and here's why.

The purpose of working the bale is to "investigate" one's shot for the purpose of perfecting it to as close to perfectly consistent as is possible. After that, taking it from the conscious to the subconscious, ultimately to bring it TO TARGET.

Closing one's eyes brings a different shot to the target than was practiced on the bale. Yes, there are those who are able to do that, but IMO they are already in possession of a "good shot" and simply reenforcing an already good thing.

A little food for thought….

tom

·
Registered
996 Posts
JP,

Try coming to anchor more slowly and controlled. I will pull slow to anchor, using the time to make sure i am properly aligned, then hit anchor.

Looks good, there were a few where you didn't pull past the anchor.

Lots of fun isn't it? I feel more solid with my shot than i ever have.

·
Registered
582 Posts
At anchor you look comfortable and lined up well. As others have said I'd work on slowing down draw. I believe you should keep a smooth rhythm. If you draw fast than anchor for a few seconds it sometimes gets jerky and you lose back tension. Also, when the pressure is on there is tendency to change one of the aspects of that rhythm and the shot starts to feel foreign. Little thing but can get in your head and throw off your confidence in the shot.

The only question I have about your anchor is whether it's lined up below your eye properly. I'd hate to see you put a lot of effort into working on that portion of your shot only to find out as you transition to targets that there is a misalignment and you have to rework that.

I'm not really a bail shooter but I firmly believe that video is a great tool. When you start transitioning to shooting at targets keep filming your shots. I like to shoot a few arrows and I'll comment on the impact and compare it to my execution. It's a great way to verify that you aren't slipping into old habits as well as being a good way to see what a small mistakes effect (if one is made) is on the target. Sometimes the trouble with tactile practice, like the bail, is what you think is happening isn't always what's actually happening.

That said, your form is very good and compared to earlier videos you can see some notable changes. Good things come to those who work smart and hard.

Chris

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Hey JP, what breathing technique are you using? Sounds like your holding your breathe and that could be causing your race to draw and speedy shot execution. After each shot you sound relieved to let air out? Take a pause at anchor to feel things, before you commit to executing the shot. I'm sure Jer is right that your trying to get a bunch in for the video same, but if that's the case, then stop doing videos! I enjoy them all, but not at your learning expense. Keep at it, looking better each video.

Reactions: JParanee

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would also say...slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww the draw.....you are very strong and use to muscleing the bow

use those back muscles and get real smooth to your anchor like Rusty said.

Trying not to go past your anchor.....

BIG THING.......

Don't shoot everyone if it's not right HARD TO DO...let down MORE ok...jer
I will learn to let down more thanks Jer

I start out with a tip sitting like I would be on stand

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Shooting with one's eyes closed is a two edged sword IMO. I know there are some who advocate it… personally I don't, and here's why.

The purpose of working the bale is to "investigate" one's shot for the purpose of perfecting it to as close to perfectly consistent as is possible. After that, taking it from the conscious to the subconscious, ultimately to bring it TO TARGET.

Closing one's eyes brings a different shot to the target than was practiced on the bale. Yes, there are those who are able to do that, but IMO they are already in possession of a "good shot" and simply reenforcing an already good thing.

A little food for thought….

tom
I might add this, the only time I close my eye is to find my stance.

I look at the spot. raise my bow to the spot. Close my eyes draw to anchor. Get relaxed. Open my eyes and if I am not still pointing the arrow or sight at the spot I adjust my stance accordingly. Then letdown.
Dan

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Joe, one other thing if you overdrawn it my be your stance. I work on that, my hold and expansion at the bail. It all about feeling not rapped fire. Feel the control you have over your bow. It's you tool. Watch your buddy Ray.
Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Joe
I wasn't bored. Looks good.
Your look, is intense. You seem focused on getting control.
Lots of good comments for you.
I would just like to say this; Enjoy the control your feeling. The steps from start to finish is what give you the power and keeps you strong. My favorite part of the shot is right in between anchor and expanding. Standing tall, staying strong, where the bows weight feels lighter then at any other point of the draw. I've exhaled and now I can focus on the target. I try and pace myself through my shot, but really enjoy how my back holds the weight.
I can see your on the right road. Good for you. I had a couple of chances to take Rod's coarse. If I get another chance, I'm taking it. Would love to here his views on what makes a good archer. I just have to be willing to change. That's not easy sometimes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.