4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All this form work at 34 pounds I really was craving some weight

I grabbed a 55 # hunting rig and wanted to do some shots

Wanted to slow mo the shots with phone to see what is going on

Sorry about the art work :) but I wanted to see my back

Still to much head movement

But It felt great

String came of fingers like a caliper release :)

The arrows I'm shooting are 29 1/4

No more creeping

Real pleased

Now back to the light bow :)

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Looks pretty good accept for your head movement to the arrow still bud...it's much better but you draw ans then you kind tip your head to the arrow still.

It will just take time to get that last part of your old draw sorted out. I still drop my elbow (been doing it tooooo long ) ;)

Great work so far though Joe

Jer

·
Premium Member
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks pretty good accept for your head movement to the arrow still bud...it's much better but you draw ans then you kind tip your head to the arrow still.

It will just take time to get that last part of your old draw sorted out. I still drop my elbow (been doing it tooooo long ) ;)

Great work so far though Joe

Jer
I know

That's why I videos myself didn't even think I was dropping my head :)

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,759 Posts
It looks like you are getting good back tension on draw but then raising your elbow and losing some of it. I think the missing step is the transition where you lock it in. Your scapula starts moving up and you have to reengage to get it moving down at release. Do you read it the same way per what Rod teaches?

·
Premium Member
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my elbow is to high also

I'll be working on my head and the elbow

That's why I like videoing myself

Everything felt hood but all can see there are still some issues

It's been a week

Gonna be along summer :)

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
JP

Ben got me drawing with my back below my anchor and lifting up to it. Watch some video of Michelle Frangilli your body type is more like his than Miss parks ;-)

When I'm at anchor I channel Reo and wait for my release to fire.

Thanks for the vid Dan I love watching her shoot.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Hank is right. Picking the elbow up is loosening some of or all the back. Joe do you feel you struggle to hold there? Just asking. When I do that, I think I am pulling it back but really I pick it up. Try just leaving it alone.

I just got back from my son science camp were I helped the archery coach. 200 kids over three days we instructed the NASP Program.

Anyways, it was as eye opener. Some of the kids, well most, I had to hold there elbow so they could get the feeling as to were I instructed them to hold. After about three shots they were good to go. Well some of them.

Have someone hold it. I know it sound crazy.

Also, if the shooter was not expanding I hold their elbow once they draw and push the bow shoulder in to align. After about two six arrow rounds I could see the smile on their face after they nailed the gold. Before the end of the hour session they were having a competition on hitting each other's balloons. Man, I had to blow up a lot of balloons. Lol.
Dan

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,759 Posts
JP

Ben got me drawing with my back below my anchor and lifting up to it. Watch some video of Michelle Frangilli your body type is more like his than Miss parks ;-)

When I'm at anchor I channel Reo and wait for my release to fire.

Thanks for the vid Dan I love watching her shoot.

Yep, that is how the Oly guys do it. I have also adopted that into my draw.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Michelle Frangilli wow that is a crazy draw cycle. I guess with a light bow and a still target that would be ok, but if it were a hunting shot that would be way to much movement me thinks, but I have been wrong lots.

Jer

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Nah I don't do all the wacky head stuff - although I'll blow you a kiss like he does if you want Jer - I just draw low and lift up.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Nice Ink Joe, I have a very large Dragon climbing down the whole of my shoulder onto my back. It's not quite warm enough to get the shirt off here :p

What I do in my setup is part draw so the back of my thumb/wrist is touching my face then I'm drawing 4-5" at the end with focus on getting the Scapula movement correct, because it's a short movement I find less room for error and I get the shoulder engaged quite quickly.

I did try the low draw and it does work very well but had a personal preference for this pre-draw setup.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
JP ... this may sound crazy but .....

.... I had the same problem with my head, then an old coach at my club said .. "I can stop that" ... he balanced a bowl of cold water on my head ... it took about 5 shots to stop any head movement.

Disclaimer ... other methods of cranial stability are available

Reactions: JParanee

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
JP, put down the heavy bow and get the form bow back out. Not being mean, but you don't have it right yet, and shooting extra weight won't help. Like showing a guy how to squat properly and he then gets tired of the low weight and throws on a bunch and goes at it. In archery you won't get hurt typically, but I think you get the analogy. Good form is best learned with light weight. As for your video, yes I see your shoulders getting into the shot, but not your rhomboids. Did Rod out his hand on your rhomboid to teach you how to feel when it's right as you draw/execute the shot? Watch the vids I sent you, I think it will help you.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have a high anchor. Rod told me to lead directly to my anchor with my draw elbow. So in my case the draw elbow is up high. I found this easier than drawing low, then drifting up to search for the anchor and risk losing back tension altogether.

So, now I draw with the elbow up high, hit the high anchor, leave the elbow up high locking in the back tension, then roll the elbow down and around by squeezing in the rhomboid region, pulling the lower scapula towards midline and triggering a back tension release. I hope I described this well.

I believe Rod instructed us all to draw to anchor with the elbow leading. I do see where JP is raising the elbow after hitting anchor.

I believe I've seen some Olympic archers trigger back tension with a high draw elbow, Jake Kaminski I think does this right before he releases.

·
Premium Member
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JP, put down the heavy bow and get the form bow back out. Not being mean, but you don't have it right yet, and shooting extra weight won't help. Like showing a guy how to squat properly and he then gets tired of the low weight and throws on a bunch and goes at it. In archery you won't get hurt typically, but I think you get the analogy. Good form is best learned with light weight. As for your video, yes I see your shoulders getting into the shot, but not your rhomboids. Did Rod out his hand on your rhomboid to teach you how to feel when it's right as you draw/execute the shot? Watch the vids I sent you, I think it will help you.
Thanks Ken

I will take a look

I just anted to feel some weight

I'm definitely engaging my back at the end

No doubt I'm still a lot of shoulder and arms

I'll keep working

Tony you are right Jake shoots with a fairly high elbow

Here is a video of Jake I shot at the Classic @ LAS

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
when you pull and anchor under the chin the elbow does appear higher than if you have a hight anchor. I did it all the time with my compound with a scope range to 80 yards.
Dan

·
We few, We happy few...
1,981 Posts
I need to do a back tension video. I'll see if Rob Green will shave my back, first.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.