Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually above zero today so I pulled out the Barnsdale for a confidence boost after all the focus needed for mastering the minutiae of BB technique (for me results on target improve BB->oly->fingers wheelie).

Interesting that at 60# I'm still pulling arrows out with two fingers; so I looked at the pics I took 3 mos ago after initially setting things up - there is more central target arrow penetration after 3 mos of daily shooting in sub-freezing temps but didn't have a single pass through/fletching injury - pics show 40# BB & 60# fingers today vs 3 mos ago with 60# fingers comparing wool & foam - Thx again to 7Arrows for this very useful info - M.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Off topic... If you don't mind me asking, What brace height are you running on your moon/cv rig. Also, do the limbsavers on the limbs help in anyway ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zafar - BH is 9.5" & as for noise only a bit of a thump on release at 10gpp - quiet enough with the limbsavers for hunting - haven't tried adding anything to the string but based on my experience with beaver balls to date would think that might take it down a bit more - if I don't get my FantomHex combo tuned in time for turkey season am pretty sure this set up would do just fine - M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very excited to try this! Thanks to my wife and grandmother both being into spinning/weaving, we've got bags of wool that have been sitting for years. Don't tell me looms make great string jigs...

Thanks, Mark and Seven Arrows!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Couple of nice looking rigs you have there mate.

Something else to try in your target bales is Rock wool,,,as we call it down here.
It's the stuff they blow into walls an roof spaces for insulation,,,makes amazing target filling.

An no sheep are harmed.
We have other uses for them,,,,well the Aussies do ;^)

John.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
We don't mind the temperature conversion, but you coins screw up our vending machines. :)
I like the colorful money from Canada and Australia and New Zealand.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks like you had a dandy day to shoot! Good target bags! I'm going to give this a try.
Thanks! scout4

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been wondering about targets, bags, and filler. Hopefully my wife and I will have the gear to be able to shoot in our back yard soon, but we will need targets.

What is a good, cost effective target solution? I see there are bags, waterproof paper targets, pre-filled bags, etc. Nothing seems really inexpensive though.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have been wondering about targets, bags, and filler. Hopefully my wife and I will have the gear to be able to shoot in our back yard soon, but we will need targets.

What is a good, cost effective target solution? I see there are bags, waterproof paper targets, pre-filled bags, etc. Nothing seems really inexpensive though.
I use horse feed bags, usually double them up.
We don't get them free because they always come full of horse feed when we get them.
But you can get them empty from most feed supply places, and they have so many they normally just give them away.
Insulation material makes great filling as it stops any arrow dead and then it's only a two finger effort to pull them out again.
My own bags are currently filled with diaper off cuts left over from the manufacturing process.
Some people use the shrink wrap that's used in the transport industry, but I found removing arrows from it to be a lot harder than what I'm using now.
With the amount of waste generated by modern industry there's really no need to be buying anything for targets unless you want to go up market with 3D's an such..

John.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts