Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:

I love wood...metal seems to hurt my soul. However, DAS, Warf etc sure have caught my attention. I do like a smooth, quiet shooting recurve.

My question is this. Couldn't I achieve almost the same thing on a wooden handled recurve with stabilizers weighted approximately to equal a metal risered bow? I'm currently shooting an Earl Hoyt Sky Hawk TD which came with a very heavy wood riser...seems Earl used one riser for all draw weights even up to the heavier ones so he evidently decided to make them strong and heavy.

I love the feel of the bow. It is solid in the hand and quite smooth. And since its so heavy already couldn't I achieve almost identical shooting qualities and feel by adding the weight in via a stabilizer or two?

Or has anyone thought of laminating wood to those old cold souless metal compound risers to make 'em look pretty?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Or has anyone thought of laminating wood to those old cold soulless metal compound risers to make 'em look pretty?

- soulless? the soul of metal riser comes from it fiery birth. seven or eight hundred degrees of pure potentional. you just have to reach the enlighten state of the 7th house to have the portal of pure archery bliss open. OOOOOmmmmmmmmm OOOOOmmmmmmmm The heart of a metal riser comes directly from the center of exploding star crashed by its own unimaginable weight. the metal riser is a billion years of star dust from infinite nova stars. OOOOOmmmmmmm OOOOOmmmmmmm

there is a hyperoribital neutrion connection between the enlighten archer and the metal riser governed by the law of symmetry. As I sure you know the symmetry laws, generally speaking, are principles that apply to changing the total circumstances of an event rather than changing a particular quantity. The three symmetry operations associated with these principles are: charge conjugation (C), which is equivalent to exchanging particles and antiparticles; parity (P), which is a kind of mirror-image symmetry involving the exchange of left and right; and time-reversal (T), which reverses the order in which events occur. According to the symmetry principles (or invariance principles), performing one of these symmetry operations on a possible particle reaction should result in a second reaction that is also possible. However, it was found in 1956 that parity is not conserved in the weak interactions, i.e., there are some possible particle decays whose mirror-image counterparts do not occur. Although not conserved individually, the combination of all three operations performed successively is conserved; this law is known as the CPT theorem.

so in summation if i were you, i would drop the idea of messing with the enlightened archers metal riser.....do what ya want to about your wooden riser but you are messing with the laws of symmetry. be afraid :)

rusty - OOOOOOOmmmmmmmmmm - Craine

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think Rusty found the key to the liquor cabinet!!!!! It must have been stocked well too!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Gary of course you can make a wood risered version to use the ilf limbs.It will shoot nice but will just be a little bulkier than a metal riser.It takes more wood to get the strength and mass of metal is all.Put a lot of glass in it and it will help keep it smaller.
I ain't touching the soul stuff. :) I put the soul into the arrows when I let go the string.The bow is just there for them so any old bow is fine. ;)

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
Gary,
I thought like you about wood bows some time ago and make a wooden warf.
Then, I could not stop until I get a metal riser to make another.
It is adictive!!!!!
Search under "wooden" or "wood", there are many threads on wooden warfs.
Rusty.
A very good post!
Martin

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I saw an ILF riser Bob Gordon made. I think Hank has it now. It looks pretty slick. Maybe you can get Hank to part with it. I made one out of a laminated riser off a Martin Warthog. It took a little work but the end product is a fabulous shooting bow. I was thinking of buying a chunk of laminated birch from Boyd's gunstocks and making one out of that. Too many irons in the fire right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Rusty:

I thought this was a Traditional Archery Site. What's up with the New Age symmetry stuff...did you work for the Marharishi Mahesh Yogi's enlightened archery instructor or something? BTW, did you ever think of writing for the flying saucer group out at area 51? Bet they would like to have you do some ghost writing for them.

Thanks for your reply, I will review it more in detail when I have time. Say to the Mahararishi for me next time you run into him.

gr

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
The Maharishi University is about 1 hour 40 minutes away from me in Fairfield, Iowa and I have a wooden warf riser :)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
LOL, Gary, nope but I'm for ya man. I really like wood too but I love 'em metal risers.

rusty

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
To get back on topic..........If a guy decided he wanted to make a laminated wood riser for a set of ILF limbs I assume he'd need to copy the geometry from a Target riser, like a W&W or something, and not a warf.

Right?

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
LOL, well that posting, my have been a bit over the top, even though I found it amusing when I was writing it...... :) you mean ya think it is a stretch from partical physics to traditional archery? so it is , sorry :)

rusty

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Bill as long as the limb angles are close it would not matter a lot if you copying either or neither.The bow will shoot just the same.jmo.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Dave at DAS had posted in the past that he can use his duplicator on grips to make any grip out of laminate. I wonder if he can take a metal riser of your choice and do the same thing..... Hmmmmmmm Dave?

G

·
All answer the riser geometry thing...depends on if you want the exact same shooting qualities...

All you really need to do is copy the limb pocket attachment angles and the length...this rest is up to your imagination and preference...

No reason you couldn't migrate the riser forward a bit if you want it more forgiving...

Or reflex it a bit if you want a little more speed...

Probably best to copy a tried and true design, though...

But...sure you could copy a Bear Black Bear or a Proline...or a Hoyt Medalist...or Hoyt TD2-3...

Heck, you could copy a DAS...I don't even think David would mind on bit...though I'd ask permission...

Me...I'm working on a design for a '50's style. low grip (longbow riser) maple wrapped in carbon...I'm not going ILF route with this one though...double bolts...I honestly don't think tiller adjustability is worth the trouble for me on an experimental project...

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
David,
COOULD you make a wood riser that duplicates the DAS??? That would be rather nice, and very different.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
You never could copy the DAS in wood, just not enough material there, the DAS is pretty skeletonized due to what it is made out of, wood would have to have a lot more thickness here and there to survive the first shot. Besides, who wants a bow that would float anyhow...lol...warf

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
Bob,
With a good wood you can make a riser like Das.
I have made a SAD bow, 16" riser to make a [email protected]" bow. It works Ok but metal risers are better any way. LOL. Too much horror stories.
I made a 21" riser for my Bighorn limbs some years ago, way before I know about warfing. I make all posible errors on this riser, wrong tiller, accute angle at sight window, past centershot, button hole, etc. It survive many shots and a complete FITA. LOL.
Some day I will post a picture of it.
This wood is way strong !!!.
Thanks Martin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts