Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking of tolerance, I spent some time at my neighbors, working on wood arrows. He had a bunch of shafts and also some completed arrows that he was not using. I built a few, under his tutelage and we also refurbished some of the older completed arrows that he was not using.

We shot the arrows from a bunch of different bows.....

Now for the tolerance part, the wood arrows really flew best out of a TT Titan riser, TT longbow limbs and an NAP Centerest flipper rest. It seems not entirely kosher to shoot a technical single string set up with wood arrows. I was shooting off a rest and with a metal riser, after all. However, the arrows grouped really well, flew great and we had a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I often cut down a flipper and stick on my wooden risers to shoot wooden arrows off of when hunting. I paper test all my hunting arrows to see when I get a clean hole. Two reasons. 1 if hunt out of a ground blind I may need to shot there a small opening and I want to know what the paradox looks like. 2 I want to know how fast the broad head is rotating and gets to horizontal and vertical.

So if hunting, do what you need to get the bust arrow flight and the quickest recovery.

If shooting competition, follow the rules.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Speaking of tolerance, I spent some time at my neighbors, working on wood arrows. He had a bunch of shafts and also some completed arrows that he was not using. I built a few, under his tutelage and we also refurbished some of the older completed arrows that he was not using.

We shot the arrows from a bunch of different bows.....

Now for the tolerance part, the wood arrows really flew best out of a TT Titan riser, TT longbow limbs and an NAP Centerest flipper rest. It seems not entirely kosher to shoot a technical single string set up with wood arrows. I was shooting off a rest and with a metal riser, after all. However, the arrows grouped really well, flew great and we had a lot of fun.
I still shoot wooden arrows when I'm hunting.
I've also just started shooting tapered woods off my Titan and I think they fly better than these el cheapo CE Predators I bought with the bow.
Come to think of it, the only real reason I stopped shooting wood more often was because when I'd show up to some competitions I usually had some control freak with a magic marker wanting to draw ID rings or numbers onto my painstakingly built and crested arrows, an that just wasn't going to happen.
The other thing is that good wooden arrow shafts now cost as much as average carbons in NZ because all the components need to be imported from America.
My next wood shaft buy will probably be three or four dozen Tappered cedar shafts from Wapiti Archery.
I recently got to inspect some of their shafts and their a "lot better" than the usual junk sold in the shops over here.

John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts