Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At those times that I've had my pooh together enough to concentrate on other form/accuracy related things?...(and felt up to it? LOL!)...from time to time I would spend a little focus and attention on where the string blur was in relation to my riser while at full draw....with most set-ups it would be just to the right of the riser wall...others the center and still a few others yet?...right on the inner riser wall...well tonight was one of those nights that I had my pooh together and felt good...and it seems I have the gap/elevation deal nailed down on this Polar out to 30 but?...I wanted to tighten up the left/right windage gig...so I start paying attention to string blurr and walking the string across the riser seeing where she hits best left/right...and as I got right on the inner wall?...I remembered a method I saw on one of the MBB volumes...and decided to try..."Winking The Arrow"....so I did...and up until this time?...I thought those 200gr screw-ins had the over-spined cheetahs tuned pretty good to this bow..."wrong".....

but man did it tighten up my left/right issues...

and reminded me I need to get those ultra-light properly spined VAP's ordered for this sweetheart of a vintage rig. :)

Thanks for read'in and look'in, L8R, Bill. :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nice all round.

At thirty, that's good tuning.

My first target style recurve was a locally made 1970's Hinchco recurve that looked very much like your bow but with dark Rosewood riser an cream limbs.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I dont recall "winking the arrow" Jinks, please explain. Also for what its worth, your consistentcy looks to be improving with every pic you post. Good job!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I too would like to know what winking the arrow means.

Are those groups at 30 yds, with bare shafts too..... You da man!

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woe, Woe, WOE!...hold up here a sec...I wish that was 30yds...and if it was I do believe I'd be receiving Fax'ed contracts from several manufacturers! :lol:

No folks...albeit my shooting has improved tremendously the past couple weeks...and while I'm flattered?...honesty is always the best policy for me...but those pix were at a measly 15yds...where I usually start warm-ups these days...then do walk-back drills and once comfy usually end the evenings off at 30...but then move back up to 15 when it starts getting to dark to see at 30.

"Winking The Arrow"...is a method I heard brief mention of by I'm not sure who but think it was Rod Jenkins and/or Denny Sturgis...on MBBIII..but I could be mistaken...memory ain't what it never was! LOL!...but anyways...what it is is this...

Lining the string blur up with the side of the arrows point...much like what a proper set-up looks like when viewing the bow from the rear with the string running down the bows centerline...where the side of the point and the string blur (at full draw/solid anchor) "just" touch each other...I found it to be a much more precise method as it creates such a fine visual contact point...cause you're either there and just touching or?...have visual air gap or?...the strings over-lapping the point.

but when it's right?...it's tight! ;)

Tight enough to show me my arrows are still too stiff. :lol:

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whelp?...Just cured that! :lol:

Just got off the phone with LAS...and $139.43 later?...

1 Doz. .800 Spine VAP V6's: 30 5/8ths long (carbon too carbon which should put me 30 3/4"s w/ F-Nocks) $79.95

1 Doz. Victory Glue-in Target Points: (120-110gr) $23.99

3" Parabolic Black/White Barred LW Feathers: (Bag of 50) $25.50

This will put the arrows right at 300grs and the rig right at (or just under) 10GPP...and I really don't want to go lighter than that with this old Bear...besides...my Falco and Bushmen longbows both share 10GPP set-ups as well...with me thinking commonality between rigs is a good thing.

And there's not a doubt in my mind that I can hit tune with this combo...it's already very close using 28 1/4" 5/16ths Cheetahs spined at .650 with 200gr points...so while I'm knocking 80grs off the points?...I'm also knocking the deflection down .150 and adding a whopping 2 1/2"s of carbon length...not to mention getting those sweet nano-diameter shafts closer too center...and imho?...This old Bear is still pretty snappy for what it is....so she deserves some cute little hot arrows...that will weigh over 100grs less than what I'm shooting now. :)

Should turn out to be a great rig!...I'm Excited! L8R, Bill. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts