TradTalk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this bow with 40# limbs. Anybody have one, know anything about these, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
A guy that used to live here bought one. I got to handle and shoot it a few times.

I thought it was a good riser for the cost. If you like the grip and balance it would be great for 3-D and hunting.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I just picked up a lightly used Black Elk and shot it yesterday for the first time. Seems fine for such a low cost W&W riser and has a fair amount of deflex to it. Nice medium wood grip similar in size and shape to those on the WNS target risers. If you like a fairly light weight riser, the Black Elk is worth a look. My 38# Hoyt limbs made 38# with bolts only 3/4 turn out from max. I set the tiller even and the brace height at 8.5" as a starting point. If I decide to hunt with it, I'll likely drill and tap a couple holes for amo quiver mounting.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It's the WNS Explore's twin. You buy this one in black and you have the holes for quiver already there.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Yeah, I also have a 21" WNS Explore riser for the grandkids and, comparing the two risers side by side, they look almost identical, except for the sight/quiver holes, clicker extension, and extra plunger hole on the Explore. WNS cautions a 40# max on the Explore, whereas the Black Elk can be purchased with up to 65# limbs. I've read speculation that the BE may be forged versus cast for the Explore riser, but perhaps it's more about the Explore riser having less strength due to the location of the extra holes for the clicker extension and plunger? It's hard to understand why W&W doesn't drill and tap their hunting risers to mount a quiver (no provision for a quiver on the Black Wolf riser either), but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up one myself. Seems like it is going to be a nice setup. It has been drilled and tapped for quiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts