Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I just slice the meat on them across the grain (about 1/2" thick or thereabouts) dip in egg/buttermilk mix, roll in flour/salt/pepper mix & fry in whatever you prefer. I use butter myself, but I don't want to live to be 100 years old either...:cheers:

·
bowhuntrmaniac
119 Posts
My wife cuts the breast into strips. Makes a "bath" of mustard, honey, water (to thin a little). Then adds garlic, pepper, a little salt. dip turkey in bath, dust litely with flour, and pan fry in olive oil. The coating is crispy and seals the turkey so it doesn't get tuff. Does not last beyond one meal!!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My wife cuts the breast into strips. Makes a "bath" of mustard, honey, water (to thin a little). Then adds garlic, pepper, a little salt. dip turkey in bath, dust litely with flour, and pan fry in olive oil. The coating is crispy and seals the turkey so it doesn't get tuff. Does not last beyond one meal!!
OK ... that one's going in the family recipe book ... thanks bowhuntrmaniac

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Following these recipes...

Of the handful of turkeys I killed from around 2000-2005 I would have been better off cooking them whole on a sheet of cardboard at 350 degrees...and then, when its done...throwing the turkey away and eating the cardboard.

Whatever I did...I did it wrong because those birds tasted horrible. To the point where I quit hunting them.

·
Super Moderator
2,771 Posts
It is a shame to waste the rest of the carcase. Cut off the tail and it's oil glands, as with any fowl. Skin it and simmer it for soup or stew, with celery, onions and carrots. Delish. Gives you the strength to get up and go shoot another'n. - lbg

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I started breasting out the big mature birds but just too tough.
So then I started with the medium size and younger ones... Sliced and fried as above is the way to go!!

I did stew one old bird breast in a crock pot for 12 hours... And it was like a paperweight lol

·
Registered
402 Posts
We got one this year and my brother soaked it in a brine and then slow smoked it on a Traeger for a couple hours. The breast was awesome but the legs not so much. Pretty tough and lots of tendons.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
Wild Turkey Breast with Turkey Gravy

Perfectly poaching a turkey breast is easy, but you need to know a few tricks before you begin. First, start with meat that is room temperature. This means taking the breast out of the fridge and letting it sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Second, quick-cure it by salting the breast heavily on both sides when you take it out; this seasons the meat as it comes to temperature. Third, use a good broth — in this case, the one you made from the turkey wings. And finally, never, ever, ever let the broth even simmer. You just want it to steam at 155°F to 165°F. If you let this boil or even simmer strongly, the meat will dry out and get tough.

Serves 4.

Cook Time: 3 hours, mostly simmering time for the broth

WING BROTH
2 turkey wings (both drumette and second digit)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt
2 quarts water
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried sage, or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery

GRAVY
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sherry or Madeira
1 to 1 1/4 cup turkey wing broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and black pepper to taste

TURKEY
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds skinless turkey breast

1.Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat the turkey wings in the vegetable oil and salt well. Roast in a cast iron frying pan or other oven-proof pan until nicely browned, from 45 minutes to an hour.
2.Put the roasted wings in a pot with all the other ingredients for the broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently until the meat wants to fall off the bones. This will take about 90 minutes with a domesticated turkey, longer for wild. You can pick off the meat and eat it later, or you can put some in the gravy, too.
3.Once you have the broth made, take the turkey breast out and salt it well. Let it sit on a cutting board for 30 minutes or so to come to room temperature.
4.Bring the broth to a simmer and drop the turkey breast in. The turkey should be submerged by the broth. If it is not, add water or chicken stock. Once the turkey is in the broth, move the pot to your weakest burner and turn the heat to its lowest setting. Cover the pot and let it cook in the hot broth for at least 30 minutes, and up to 1 hour if you are using a full half breast. Remember to never let the water simmer! You are looking for a target temperature of 155°F to 165°F. So long as you are in that ballpark, you will not overcook the turkey.
5.Make the gravy while the turkey is poaching. Heat the butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the flour and mix well. Cook this, stirring often, until it smells nutty and turns milk-chocolate brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the sherry. The mixture will seize up, so slowly stir in 1 cup of the hot broth until the gravy has the consistency of melted ice cream. Add salt, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Turn the heat to low and stir from time to time. If it gets too thick, add a little more broth.
6.To check if the turkey has cooked all the way through, either test it with a meat thermometer — you want it to read 155°F — or slice the thickest part and look: You want a blush of pink in the meat. Slice and serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable of your choice. Ladle over lots of gravy!
i hate breast meat because it's so dry, but this recipe is great. it comes out tender and really moist. the picture is domestic, but the wild ones look the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
larry ... another excellent recipe ...
Most of the herbs you mention we have fresh in the garden ... what quantities of fresh herbs would you use for this turkey recipe?

Thanks again Larry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts