Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys why do field points come in 25 grain increments but for the 145 which is much more popular than the scares 150, and the same question for broadheads, why the random 160 grain 165 190 220 etc grain heads? Why wouldn't people just keep universal weights between the two for tuning simplicity etc? Even though there doesnt seem to be much difference my OCD definitely kicks in when shooting 145 grain field points for practice but 150s in broadheads. Why the randomness and discrepancies? And I don't think it's from the old glue on points and adapters as the most common weights there still don't come to rounded numbers.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Man I sometimes think that it's because "these points right here are close but another 4 grains might put us shooting straight down the middle" that makes us buy them. The most plausible answer is that if you enjoy tuning you'll find a way to make them work.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If you actually weighed the points on a grain scale, something else might kick in, some broadheads advertised as 125 will range from 120-135 out of the same package.

Used to not be that many choices. Long time ago hunting arrows were pretty much aluminum 1916, 2117, and wood shafts. Now the selection will drive younuts

We have taken something that can be simple, and turned it into a techno, mechanical nightmare.

Try messing with stonepoints and weighing them :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Because not every archer is a hunter and not every bowhunter is a target shooter.
Now days I could care less what any broadhead weighs and I see absolutely no reason for any point weight over 100g.
I can use 75g points and tune by 5g increments using brass collars that are designed for just that.
When I was an active hunter I would buy broadheads at what ever was available in the style and close enough weight to what I wanted and just tune my bow for them.
I've really never given any thought to how my field points fly compered to my broadheads for the simple reason that their two very different birds designed for very different things, plus I've always altered my tune to the job at hand rather than trying to get two different things doing the same thing.
I don't hunt with target weight arrows and I don't shoot targets with hunting arrows.
Those that do "all the more power to them" but to me it was just the easiest way to get what I was looking for.

John.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts