Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One reason for going the ILF route was to play around with tiller to reduce the downward nock travel. However it doesn't work. I turned the limbs way out in both directions and all it did was make the bow noisy. I shoot 3 under and ended up back at even tiller with the nock 1/2" high. That's a bit more than my bolt down bow. Adjustments are nice when they serve a purpose. Why wouldn't this work? The stronger limb would return faster than the trailing limb, which would pull the string towards the weaker limb, at least that's my visualization. Yet more than 1 turn out for the upper limb didn't show any difference with a bare shaft. I use 2 nocks so it's not that.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Your release perhaps? Or maybe you are putting more pressure with your index finger vs ring finger or vice versa? I don't think 1/2" high nock point is abnormal. I also shoot 3 under and find different bows like varying amounts of nock point height. A Dryad ILF longbow tunes very well with even tiller and nock 3/8" high. A RER longbow prefers 5/8" high nock point. They all throw a bareshaft straight into the fletched group so I just let the bow dictate where it likes the nock point.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
A one string doe's not work like a One cam Compound. The cam causes the string to unwrap and wrap back up on the Compound.
A onestring works with limb timing and can be adjusted to be ahead or behind top or bottom.
A stiff lower limb will cause the shot to be high,,reverse for the top. That is not a result of the nock traveling up or down, it is a result of the unequal force and timing of one limb returning dynamically faster than the other.
Actually you can move the impact point with limb timing adjustments on ILF Bows but in the end it is better suited to most three under shooters to set the tiller at zero and adjust the nocking point for bareshaft entry rather than playing with tiller to adjust the nocking point.:cheers:

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in the end it is better suited to most three under shooters to set the tiller at zero and adjust the nocking point for bareshaft entry rather than playing with tiller to adjust the nocking point
Seems I came to the same conclusion the LONG way, but I'm a slow learner.

Sometimes too much adjustability is, well, too much.:brickwall:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sam, I don't spend anytime tiller tuning, I'm a zero guy also. The question I have is you stated above that a stiffer lower limb will make the shot go high, I have always understood the opposite, more positive tiller, the lower your impact. Maybe stiffer lower limb does not equate to more positive tiller?? Please straighten me out?? Thanks
Mat I'm kind of with you on the adjustability thingie...
Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts