Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to tune my bow so that the tip of the arrow is in line with the bulls eye, but I have to put the tip about 4 in. off the entire target to the right at 20 yds.to hit center. I have tried different point weights, different tension on the plunger, moving the plunger in, etc. but nothing is working with this bow. I am shooting 28 lbs. at 28 in., and am using 800 spine predator II arrows at 29 in. with tips from 85 to 125 gr. and 1816 platinum plus arrows at 30 in. with points from 85 to 125 gr. In all scenarios, I still have to aim way off. Is there something I can do to get my point on straight up and down from the bulls eye? I am shooting a CXT Inno 25 in. riser. When I shoot my 21 in. Excel riser at 26 lbs, I can line the arrow pt. up with bulls eye using the same arrows with 100 gr. and 125 gr tips respectively.I am shooting rt. handed by the way.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Sure your not plucking the string with the different bow? Make sure your string hand stays close to your face. Sounds like you have exhausted the tip weight method, strange the arrows are showing stiff on that bow and not the lower poundage bow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am definitely inline with the bow and I am not plucking the string (wouldn't plucking have the opposite effect?). I actually shoot the Inno better than any riser I have shot before and my arrows are grouping great. I just couldn't imagine trying to shoot 3-D this way. My arrow point would be sitting out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Im a lefty and when I pluck, I shoot right of target. I guess the next question is are your limbs in line and on plane? Something is strange in that you can vary the point weight that much and move the plunger and yet its always the same 4" at 20yds?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is strange to me also. With the 1816's I am aiming right at the bottom right corner of the target and with the 800's, I am aiming 4 in. off the target. Witht he Excel, I am almost exactly inline with the bulls eye but have to aim much lower. I am wondering if I am having some type of clearance problem and am banging off the riser? I don't know.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I don't know your experience level, and don't want to offend you with suggestions. Where in Michigan are you? I would start over. Nock an arrow and lean bow against something so you can step back and verify string runs down center of grip. Nock an arrow and set plunger so tip is just outside string. Set tiller to even. Set nock about 3/8" above, but higher works for me. Set brace height to manufacturers spec, likely around 8". Also you want 2 nocks for 3 under, and make sure you provide some gap so the nock isn't pinched at full draw.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will go back to the drawing board again like you suggested. I am obviously missing something. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yes I think I would start over all of the guys on this site or at least the ones I know are putting the arrow point on the center at 6 o'clock, that should be your goal I would think. Cal

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Are you inline with the arrow? Meaning are you sighting straight down the arrow or are you looking at it from the side? I Have to cant my head a bit to get lined right up on the arrow.

Matt
Matt.....Could You PLEASE elaborate a bit on the head cant/eye alignment over the arrow thing???...if you would be so kind to do so?.... thanks in advance!..........Jim

·
Super Moderator
2,648 Posts
In barebow archery we have to hold the arrow under the target at short range and over at longer range. But we should not have to hold either left or right. We tune our tackle to shoot straight down the line at all distances. That is the goal with every bow and arrow combination. kenn is right about going back to basics of tune, especially regarding the left/right position of the arrow point at rest. That may well be where your trouble lies. You make the adjustment with your plunger if you use one, or with the pad behind the arrow rest.

At full draw we generally do not have our eye over the butt of the arrow. It is off to the right. The point of the arrow is in line to the target, under, over or on target center. At release the butt of the arrow moves the better part of an inch to the left, more nearly under the eye. - lbg

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Dominator, I don't think it can be your form since you know you have to hold to the right. SOOOOO, it's either the bow or the arrow. I'd work with the arrow first. Put on a 200 or 300 grain tip and you know it's not the arrow, if it doesn't move.

Bowmania

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Where is the string blur?
Different face shapes require different blur position in order to actually have the eye right behind the arrow. I know for me the blur has to be virtually inline with the point, other people have it on the far side of the riser and still others have it outside the arrow.

-Grant

·
Registered
574 Posts
It could be a spine issue since when you shoot the 1816 it gets better. I know that for me if I don't deep hook my tab I get those left shots. If I deep hook I get a cleaner release and everything comes in line. Also I would not be afraid of changing the center shot as sometime you have to make big moves to get results

Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed and my arrow point is way to the right like you describe. I'm not the greatest shot, but over time the mind adjusts to make it work.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Where is the string blur?
Different face shapes require different blur position in order to actually have the eye right behind the arrow. I know for me the blur has to be virtually inline with the point, other people have it on the far side of the riser and still others have it outside the arrow.

-Grant
My string blur is behind the riser and I have to tilt my head in to align it to the riser. I am still able to tune the bow to hit where I put my point. I think there is something else happening here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts