Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I shoot 3 under tabs and like to make my own from time to time. I like to get ideas from all different kinds of tabs and try them to see what feels and works best for me.

So, I thought I'd ask and see how many others make their own tabs and maybe get some new ideas to try. I'd like to hear what your tabs are like and if you have any pics, I'd really like to see them.

I remember a user made tab here a while back that was made with a small aluminum tube that the tab material folded over. Great looking tab and I'm going to attempt to make one like it to try as it too was a 3 under.

Anyway, if you have any pics or ideas on tabs please post them so we all can maybe learn a thing or 2.

Thanks

Nalajr

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I do, cheated on this one, used a fivics back piece and saddle leather , do the same thing only instead of the metal backpiece I use a stiffer, thicker piece of leather, glue and put a brad on each corner

·
Registered
106 Posts

This is my current tab and is made from two layers of cordovan. The combined layers give me between 4.5mm and 5mm of thickness for ample and flexible protection.
Do not be deceived by its new and fresh appearance ... thousands upon thousands of shots have been loosed with it.

This tab is two 8oz. layers of oil-tanned cowhide that I used for quite a while before moving on to the cordovan.
It's a beast, yet provided a smooth shot, never grooved, ample and flexible protection ... and I loved it dearly (well, I still do, 'cept now I'm courtin' Ms. Cordovan!).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Horween Leathers in Chicago is one of the rare sources for new cordovan.

A "chip" of cordovan (sourced from the horse's rump) is about an irregular square foot in size.
The #8 color is the brownish color that you see on most tabs.

I ordered several chips from Horween. A single chip is $30.
No matter the size of your order, there is a $30 handling charge.
The shipping fee is then based upon the weight of the order.
They don't ship immediately since they process orders in a staged fashion when they happen to have that type of material rotate into the shipping roster.
My order took about two months to arrive ... it suddenly appeared, unannounced.
They are very casual in customer service, yet ultimately deliver the goods.

So, I guess you could say that my first cordovan tab cost me the price of my initial Horween order ... about $130.
A backup tab then drops the price of each to $65 ... and on it goes.

There ya go.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I use an AAE plate and buy/cut up an XL tab already made by somebody else just for the cordavan.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Black Mamba will sell you a small piece of cordovan and they seem to be able to get the most consistent stuff.

-Grant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts