Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am currently setting up a 66" target bow, Bernardini Nilo riser with short Sky 7 recurve limbs. Draw weight on the limbs is close to 50 pounds at my draw length. I am really liking this setup so far, to the point that I am tossing the idea of also using it for my hunting bow, the only draw back is that it is heavy, but this does not bother me.

I typically hunt with a 62" bow on the ground, I do not treestand hunt, I have ADD.

I know a lot of guys on this forum hunt with a 66" long bow, but how many hunt using their target setup. Or, I am better off just leaving it as a target setup?

Any advice and pointers are appreciated.

·
Spearhead
3,565 Posts
Vena
I have hunted with my target recurves and still do.
Granted they wasn't the 25" riser, but 21" and 23" risers.
Every year my hunting bow gets longer and draw weight gets less as I age.
My 23" zenit is a permanent hunting bow. My old Hoyt nexus was a great hunting bow

Chad

·
Registered
465 Posts
It strikes me as a personal choice.

The only thing I would worry about is that if you target shoot at very specific distances only, and then go into a hunting situation with varied distances, your subconscious may make you aim at the wrong yardage. The fact that everything looks the same can confuse your mind, whereas a different hunting bow with different sight picture could make your subconscious behave better.

But, this also depends on a lot of factors include whether or not you use sights and how you practice hunting and target shots.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Ty Pelfry and Scott A both mentioned hunting with their target rigs in "Modern Traditional" dvd. I believe Scott even mentions blowing through elk with light weight arrows and relatively low poundage, and Ty talks about blowing through a Wisconsin whitetail at 43yds. If you dont mind lugging and hunting with a long/heavy bow, go for it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My recurve is 64" and I can easily shoot it while sitting. As long as you can do that, I don't think a bow is too long. "heavy" is a relative term. I doubt you bow weighs anywhere close to a compound.
If you shoot it accurately, why switch?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just started archery about 5 weeks ago and have yet to make my first bow kill.....but I have every intention of taking my 69" ..37lb Wing recurve out to hunt hogs...not monster hogs..though we have those....the smaller 50 to 100 pound hogs I see around the feeders.... there's this old guy (like 85) at the range I go to....his old recurve is a #40 target bow and he claims to hunt with it every season. ..says its the only bow he wants or needs! And that with the right broadhead it shoots right through a whitetail deer.....its really a crummy looking old bow too....but the old guy is unbelievably accurate with it to about 30yards.....in fact I could just wish to be as good as he is...but its only been five weeks.

At some point when I get much better than I am now with a bow I want to get a custom Bob Lee recurve in a suitable draw weight for hunting...50...55 pounds or so

·
Registered
88 Posts
More than a few people believe that Jack Howard's Gamemaster Jet was, and remains, one of the finest hunting bows ever made. It was 66" and not particularly light, for a one piece recurve. If I could pull mine, I'd still be hunting with it!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hey guys.
Since I am so spoiled that I have 2 different 23" risers, a GMX and a FIBERBOW(!!!). I am having the dilemma of which I am going to make my 3d/hunting bow. I have a 25" GMX that is my target bow, so the 23" is the exact same platform just 2" shorter and camo, its weight isn't an issue. However the fiberbow with sight and stab on it weighs about the same as a blackwidow, and I know of a whole forum of guys that will ban you for talking bad about those bows being used for hunting bows!!!

The point I am trying to make is that sight and stab on my bow that is deemed as a target bow is going to be going to the woods this fall!

oh and for elk I have a Dalaa with Centaur limbs!!!

did I say I was spoiled!

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
649 Posts
Oh yea and minus the Centaurs all the other bows wear Border limbs!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
As long as a well tuned arrow with an extremely sharp cut-on-contact broadhead hits the spot intended the only limitation I know of is that some states have a minimum poundage requirement for both compound and traditional. For example the state I'm in, NC, requires a compound to draw 35# and a recurve or longbow must be a minimum of 40#.

I wouldn't think twice about hunting Carolina whitetails or even black bear with one of my Warfs wearing a set of legal weight limbs....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The minimum legal draw weight in LA is, I believe 35#, it was the last time I checked anyway. I have a 66" Ben Pearson Lord Mercury @ that weight. But do not hunt with it.
For hunting I have used my B.W. PMA 50#der and am seriously thinking about using my HHA Wesley 50#der next season as I have improved a good bit shooting it @ 20yd.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.