Trad Talk Forums banner

Who hunts with handguns? What caliber? What game?

4K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  RGL76 
#1 ·
Anyone out there hunting deer with a 10mm? (I know the answer is, probably, no.) If you can use a bow, why not a handgun?

#3 ·
I used to sit in a treestand during gun season with a Bow. No good bow shot on a deer, out came the 6 inch L frame with 158 grain HP's handloads.
Taken a bunch with 45 acp hydra shocks. L frame magnum better choice. 10 mm in hot loads is a 41 magnum.

#6 ·
#12 ·
When i used to run dogs for hogs…I would use a handgun if my knife made it sketchy.
Deer hunting Leg Human body Organism Grass

One of the few Instamatic pics that actually turned out.

Now I pack a G20 in big bear country as a backup to my bow…that just might be my favorite Glock.

#17 ·
I killed an 8 pointer at 58 yards with a Ruger Super Redhawk 9 1/2" barrel and a Sightmark Ultra red dot sight. I was using my reloads of a hard cast 240 SWC. :cool:
I'll be using a R.I.A. 10mm Pro Match Ultra Tactical with a 6" match grade bull barrel. My reloads of a 180 gr. Hornady JHP.
Snow Vertebrate Mammal Deer Fawn

Attachments

#19 ·
I have an EZ, the cops gave me 400 rounds, not for hunting. I do hunt with one handgun, .177 cal, co2 auto pistol, for starlings and cats out of my upstairs window when I get board in February. Starlings hog my bird feeders then and the cats that eat baby birds and baby rabbits in the spring come to eat the downed starlings.

#24 ·
I have and shoot handguns. I shoot deer with guns.

I dont see the point of pistol hunting.
I often use guns with a limited range (100 or less), so its not about long distance sniping, this year I plan to try flintlock. but I simply shoot better with a rifle and am less likely to wound a deer.

I like trad archery because its very similar to he way people have hunted for 1000s of years. Pistol hunting large game is mostly modern day creation and doesnt appeal to me.

Its cool that other people like it as long as they are good shots,, its just not for me.

#25 ·
There's a fair chance I'll give my a 10mm a spin this year for blacktail. Just have to decide between the Ruger SR1911 with white-painted target sights, or the S&W M&P 2.0 with a little Trijicon RMR on it.

Incidentally, the one other time I tried to take big game with a handgun it was a .44 on a black bear, and it was my only unrecovered game animal. Perfect hit (I shoot both eyes open, was only 12 yards, I saw the hit, double lung), but the semi-jacketed hollowpoint blew up on impact. Found the jacket lying on the ground right where I popped Mr. Bear. Miniscule blood trail, just tiny droplets or tiny smears, terminating in a muskeg lake. Could tell the bear was struggling by the end. I still feel horrible about it. That bear deserved better. The next bear I try for it is probably going to get hammered by my .375, just for my own self-confidence.

Both 10mms I have shoot hard cast just fine, so that's what I'll roll with for deer.

#28 ·
There's a fair chance I'll give my a 10mm a spin this year for blacktail. Just have to decide between the Ruger SR1911 with white-painted target sights, or the S&W M&P 2.0 with a little Trijicon RMR on it.

Incidentally, the one other time I tried to take big game with a handgun it was a .44 on a black bear, and it was my only unrecovered game animal. Perfect hit (I shoot both eyes open, was only 12 yards, I saw the hit, double lung), but the semi-jacketed hollowpoint blew up on impact. Found the jacket lying on the ground right where I popped Mr. Bear. Miniscule blood trail, just tiny droplets or tiny smears, terminating in a muskeg lake. Could tell the bear was struggling by the end. I still feel horrible about it. That bear deserved better. The next bear I try for it is probably going to get hammered by my .375, just for my own self-confidence.

Both 10mms I have shoot hard cast just fine, so that's what I'll roll with for deer.
Tried a 10mm, missed the single action trigger pull on the Blackhawk. Too bad about the Bear! I have lost my fair share of game and it is heartbreaking. I’m almost 50 with a lifetime of hunting and it still destroys me to find blood and no game. I have settled on a 250 LSWC in the 44. No expansion but great penetration and two leaky holes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.