Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the latest GoPro 6 and I'm very impressed. I filmed a lot of the ETAR video with it and I was impressed with the quality of the image.

I've always wanted to video a nice buck being shot and I've tried to use GoPro's before on my head to film but was not happy with the perspective. The fish eye look makes everything look to far. It might be great for action footage like boats and bikes, etc but the deer woods was not the best. Well that's changed and their newest cameras have a linear mode which really gives a nice view.

So today I officially started practice from an elevated stand on a new 3D target

Wanted to see how the camera perspective was and while I rushed my shots I think you will get the point that this is doable and should make self filming a hint in the first person perspective something enjoyable and relatively easy

So here is my first shots this year from an elevated shooting position and my first go around with the new camera in this application

I don't shoot much these days and the last time I shot was at ETAR so I'm rather pleased that every arrow even though I was twisting around trying to get the camera set and out of the strings path every quick shot I shot killed the deer at an average shoot8ng distance for me

The more you practice like you hunt the luckier you will get :)

I did notice that my arrows are slightly stiff from the cameras perspective and my slightly shorter draw when shooting on a hard downward angle

So this has been a very informative shooting session and I will move to a weaker spine

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx Jim and Draven

Jim I don’t know why it is not showing up for you but thx for posting link

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can buy clip on zoom lenses for go-pro, narrow the field of view a bit and make things seem at least as close as they are in real life. Not stellar optics but I've used one and they do work.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,493 Posts
I have the 5 which also has the same narrow field of view option. I had it mounted on my bow but that has several issues, one of which is you loose sight of the arrow after the shot due to vibration. Like this:

I'm going to try a head mount. Do you have the remote? I'd be interested in how well that works. Also using the bluetooth to see the view on a phone.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the 5 which also has the same narrow field of view option. I had it mounted on my bow but that has several issues, one of which is you loose sight of the arrow after the shot due to vibration. Like this:

I'm going to try a head mount. Do you have the remote? I'd be interested in how well that works. Also using the bluetooth to see the view on a phone.
Hi Mat

Like you I did not like the bow mount

It really amplified noise and at the shot you loose everything

I think the head mount is the way to go for solo Hunting

You just have to right before the shot rotate the camera to the left on your forehead

The problem I had was that I had the large thumb screw on the mount and it caught the string

I've since switched to the short one and as long as I rotate it far enough everything still lines up and it clears my string

I don't have the remote and use an iPhone X

I like that I can see the camera view or make sure my angles are correct

Than I put phone away and just push the button on camera to start recording when ever I need to

·
Registered
328 Posts
Try not to forget you are wearing a Go Pro if you have to pi** while in a treestand.

Ruins the hunting ambience of the video.

I made that mistake while fishing in Alaska.

I hope you take a buck on video.

·
Vendor
609 Posts
That CH was spitting those arrows pretty hard . Be cool if it works out for sure . I’m gonna try filming this year. Got me a tree arm couple weeks ago for my camera and may run a tactacam on the bow to

·
Vendor
609 Posts
That CH was spitting those arrows pretty hard . Be cool if it works out for sure . I’m gonna try filming this year. Got me a tree arm couple weeks ago for my camera and may run a tactacam on the bow to

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That CH was spitting those arrows pretty hard . Be cool if it works out for sure . I'm gonna try filming this year. Got me a tree arm couple weeks ago for my camera and may run a tactacam on the bow to
It's another challenge for sure buddy

I wanna try and keep it simple because I know on a good buck things can go wrong pretty quick :)

I hope your year works out too buddy and I'm anxious to see what you come up with

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Joe is sticking that Poor deer right in the boiler!
Thx Sam

I hope at this point I can keep um in the kill zone :)

It was nice to not have any warm ups and be messing around with bow and camera and to still be able to keep them where they need to be

Thx For posting buddy and I hope all is well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts