Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum and I am considering buying an ILF riser with longbow limbs. I will primarily be hunting and shooting 3D targets at home with it. I am trying to decide on whether or not to get a wood or metal riser. I just like the looks of wood vs metal. I am 6'1 and my draw length is 29". Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are using longbow limbs i would try to find a riser that is not overly deflex. A more straight design if you will. The big key for me is liking the grip. I started out with metal risers and they have a lot of advantages...but i enjoy a wood riser more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand the appeal of wood risers of metal. That was one of the reasons I waited so long to get into ILF bows. But now that I have, there are many perks to metal over wood such as weight, durability, adjustability, etc. Check out the DAS risers. I recently picked up a DAS 17 and I can't say enough good things about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand the wood but the metal has too many advantages. I’m not sure why you are stuck on longbow limbs though.
I just like them. I have an Old Mountain Mesa one piece 64" 45# longbow that I like but I have large hands and the grip is just too small to suit me so I thought if I could get an ILF riser with a larger grip I would like it better. Is there some reason why I should not consider longbow limbs? Trust me, I am no expert by any means.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Me, myself, I'd go metal. Even though wood looks really nice, and seems to feel warmer in the cold, but the ability to change out grips makes a difference. The holes in the riser for an elevated rest makes tuning easier, as well. There are other advantages, but I haven't finished my first cup of coffee, so can't think of them just yet. Others should be stopping in, shortly, to help, and may be able to expand on things for you.

Reactions: 71rtchlngr

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with the others. I own several wood bows and they definitely look better, but if going the ILF route my preference is metal all the way. My metal risers shoot better than my custom bows and therefore get used the majority of the time.

An OK wood ILF riser is going to cost as much as an exceptional metal riser and like others have mentioned the wood will have less mass weight and tuning options.

Wood ILF risers still look funny with ILF limbs attached, so if you're going for the looks and warmth of wood I'd explore normal 3-piece takedown recurves and have one made to your specs since it will also be slightly quieter than an ILF.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I just like them. I have an Old Mountain Mesa one piece 64" 45# longbow that I like but I have large hands and the grip is just too small to suit me so I thought if I could get an ILF riser with a larger grip I would like it better. Is there some reason why I should not consider longbow limbs? Trust me, I am no expert by any means.
I looked into longbow limbs and from what I read in my price range recurve limbs have better speeds. Recurve bows are pretty slow plus I need to get the best performance out of my maximum poundage of 45# for hunting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just went down this road with a Satori. Really wanted longbow limbs to work on it and it didn't so much. Heard from others the angle on that riser isn't the best for LB limbs. ILF are great in that there's a lot of interchangeability with them. More so with the metal risers. Try and get your hands on some different ones to feel them out and see which one speaks to you. I like the look of wood as well and my next big purchase is a Stalker Apex but I want to make certain I know what I want before I lay down that kind of coinage. There are some 'better' risers out there for a longbow setup but I don't have any experience with them and honestly I cannot remember the models off the top of my head but I'm hoping someone here can chime in.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The DAS risers might be just the ticket, then. You can get them with DAS or ILF plates, and go with longbow or recurve limbs. I have no personal experience with them, but plenty of guys here do. Converting from DAS to ILF and back is just a matter of swapping a bit of hardware.

Reactions: 71rtchlngr

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently bought a Bosen Horn which is a beautiful, 62” ILF metal longbow with carbon foam limbs, and I absolutely love it. I have had many many many bows through the years and I am being very honest and telling you that it shoots as good or better than any of them.
this bow comes with a great shelf set up but that can also be removed to use elevated rest. I did a review on it recently I’m not really sure how to post links or anything like that but if you search for the Bosen horn
I think you should be able to fine

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic, what rests are you using? I have an Atlas on the way and am leaning towards a Safari Tuff springy.

Thanks
The green one is off the shelf for recurve tournaments that don't allow rests. The black one is my dedicated hunting rig with an NAP Centerest for better clearance and broadhead flight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts