Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is your focus you bring your shot to conclusion. When I'm string-walking and shooting well all I see once I start aiming is my spot I don't see the arrow tip at all. I know it's right there but I don't see it.

This is the same for me with all other styles of aiming as well all I see is that tiny spot I want to hit. I've talked to top compound guys and they say the same thing "float the site and focus on the spot - the shot will happen"

What do you see when you execute your shot ?? I'm thinking it might be different for the 3D guys vs the field guys but I'm not sure.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Matt what I do once I have a figured out my GAP profile....sorry I just had to....

The close shots I focus on the arrow tip until Ive set my gap then I switch to the spot...at the longer shots I pretty much have to keep most of my focus on the tip if not then my lefts and rights suffer because of the arrow being As large as the target.

Dewayne

Reactions: Matt_Potter

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm focused on the spot. It may be another arrow in the 10 ring or a hole from a previous shot.....but I see it all...point, gap, and the spot where I intend to put my shot.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty much the answers I was expecting. But here is an interesting one - 99% of my shooting is 50 yards or so and in. My fine focus on a very precise spot is an integral part of my shot sequence. At our state 3D I shot in a compound class with shots out to 80. I wasn't able to find a spot to get my fine focus on and really struggled with my shot as a result.

That's why I was thinking the field guys might have a different focus on the long stuff.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I hung out with Dave Cousins in Sardinia WA3D worlds and he said he just focuses on the spot and you have to trust that the sight will center itself.

I had freezing issues when I gapped, I think it was because I peeked at the Gap and back tension was lost, I'm finding the Stringwalking it's much easier not to peek at the arrow, I just trust it will center and I tend to have much stronger focus on the spot and form these days.:cheers:

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I looked at where I want to hit, draw the bow and as soon as I see the arrow whether it's on target or not it's gone and on its way. At home I don't have that problem, story of my competition life.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Matt, the business of focus (as I'm sure you've come to realize), is a much easier matter at yard ages between 20-40yds; that distance varies for us all depending on the strength of our vision, where the light is shining..how much of it there is, and at each individual moment our ability to get and keep focus.

I have long experimented with this and (for myself depending on shooting yardage) will 1. Focus on my intended POI, 2. Focus on a POA or 3. Go from one to the other and commit once I'm truly immersed in aiming.

All the best.

Tom

·
Arcus Nuda
2,306 Posts
It's about the same for me Matt, I focus on the spot and the feather touching my nose through expansion begins the conclusion. I figured out that the less I have going on mentally..i.e. trying force the tip of the arrow and hold it in a particular spot added stress to my shot. Now I only have focus and conclusion. Like you, longer shots suffer because of the limited sight picture at longer distances.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt, the business of focus (as I'm sure you've come to realize), is a much easier matter at yard ages between 20-40yds; that distance varies for us all depending on the strength of our vision, where the light is shining..how much of it there is, and at each individual moment our ability to get and keep focus.

I have long experimented with this and (for myself depending on shooting yardage) will 1. Focus on my intended POI, 2. Focus on a POA or 3. Go from one to the other and commit once I'm truly immersed in aiming.

All the best.

Tom
Tom

I was having the hardest time committing at the long ranges - I just couldn't find a site pic I was happy with. I just need to play with shooting truly long on 3D targets - all the long shooting I have done has been on spot targets.

The mind is an interesting mess.

Matt

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm having little issues with aiming over the targets on the really far stuff. I like looking at my intended target. I have to experiment more at using my riser more in aiming at the really long shots that way I still can maintain focus on the target.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm having little issues with aiming over the targets on the really far stuff. I like looking at my intended target. I have to experiment more at using my riser more in aiming at the really long shots that way I still can maintain focus on the target.
What distance are you point on with your fingers against the nock?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Matt,

My primary focus is always on my point of aim, and with very rare exceptions that's where I want to hit. It doesn't matter if I'm shooting indoor paper, 3D, field, of something I'm trying to put in the freezer. I actually find it easier to maintain focus on field, even on the 80-yard target because you always have a very distinctive spot for aiming. I could see where 3D at long range would be tricky.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Jason, 45 meters. Our state field shoot last weekend was all in yards 80, 65, 55, and 35. The next day was 60, 50, and 40. The 80, 65, 55 and 60 was a bugger to get a desirable shot of most of the time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you want to learn the gap system, why didn't you say so the last time we talked. I want you at your best when I reach my prime.:p

1 - 20 of 65 Posts