Trad Talk Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· finger shooter
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is Sam not on here anymore? His wealth of knowledge was a true asset. Anyone know where he is and why he isn't answering PM's or posting here?

· Registered
264 Posts
He still posts on the LW and on Facebook. From his posts on FB, he's seems to be upset with this forum and some of it's members for some reason. No idea why, just going by what he's posting.

· Registered
2,805 Posts
You might ask Larry Hatfield, seems to be a saddle sore between the two.

Our loss Sam's gone regardless

Reactions: first deer

· Registered
534 Posts
I know of a couple things. One is, that he requested a Sticky regarding his warf builds. Personally, I love them. He did not get that sticky. And some members apparently have made disparaging remarks toward him through post and PM's. That's all I know for sure. I talk to him regularly through PM's. He has been a wealth of knowledge for me, and saved me a good bit of money too. The guy is definitely worth listening to, as he knows a LOT about warf bows and is more than willing to share his knowledge. For free too.

I'll never understand why folks will speak differently on the internet than they would face to face. To me, it's all about respect, even if you disagree. I've heard it called internet bravado. Of course I'm 63 and old school. My dad taught me to respect people's opinions even if I didn't agree with them. Remember the golden rule. Do unto others. That's me.

· Registered
199 Posts
I never understood the reluctance to let Sam have that Sticky. The info on and about warf bows is one of the major differences between Tradtalk and other trad sites. To say that Sam brought a LOT to the table, in that regard, is an understatement.
Several guys on here seemed to take delight in pushing his buttons, making it personal...even bringing his wife's health problems into the mix. Shame, shame, shame, as Gomer Pyle used to say.
The best way to contact Sam is through Facebook,( Warfbow ).

· Registered
7,401 Posts
Fact of the matter is that TradTalk IS different, and not in a better way. I've been here for a long time and I can feel the difference in posts and membership. I know that Robert "PapaBear" sold the site and it's (IMO) taken a downward slide. I hope most sincerely that who's ever at the helm start steering… and soon.

Tom

· Registered
9,568 Posts
Some things have been at the forefront of the negativity in these changes time and time again leading to many good guys not posting here so much. I can't comment on Sams issues here, that's his business but there are certainly some issues need looking at but on the whole it's still a good bunch here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,355 Posts
You said a mouthful JLyle. Sam is opinionated there's no doubt, but no man who's contributed as much as he has should have been made to feel like those contributions were less than important when they've affected so many and put more than a few behind a bow.

My personal opinion, and I say this with the utmost respect to Mr. Gordon, is that Sam has taken Warfing waaaayyyy past what it was when he started and probably way past what Mr. Gordon envisioned. He's been faithful to both the process Mr. Gordon pioneered and Mr. Gordon's work and bowed to Mr. Gordon on every hand. He's gone so far as to repair...for free...any Warf riser that failed at the mere mention of Mr. Gordon's name, whether it was in fact one of Bob's risers or not! Where else do you find that kind of dedication to the sport and/or the process AND the willingness to share it?

Sam Dunham is a good man with a heart of gold...he'll do well, with or without TradTalk. TradTalk is just probably the most appropriate vehicle and we're the worse without him. He's the kind of people that archery and this site...and others... .needs to embrace, not disgrace.

· Banned
548 Posts
Unfortunately, Sam is indeed a wealth of knowledge, but it's often overshadowed by his abrasive, my way or the highway demeanor.

He likes to start things, but doesn't like it when people give it back. He needs to realize it's a two way street.

Hell be back.

· Registered
2,805 Posts
Unfortunately, Sam is indeed a wealth of knowledge, but it's often overshadowed by his abrasive, my way or the highway demeanor.

He likes to start things, but doesn't like it when people give it back. He needs to realize it's a two way street.

Hell be back.
Well, Sam's problem is simetimes he tries to fix stupid newbies

Reactions: rsarns

· We few, We happy few...
1,987 Posts
Crossed swords with Sam a couple times. I guess he and I are oil and water. But, I respect his knowledge and passion for archery. I bet, when the chips are down, Sam would be a stand up guy. That is something I can respect.

· Registered
2,805 Posts
If you step on a turd in the neighbors yard, the stink often follows you home.
perhaps you should follow your own advice, it actually is a two way street, and right now you best check your shoes for a turd

· Premium Member
4,908 Posts
I'm one who has backed off somewhat, partly due to the inability to shoot as I am slowly rehabbing my re-mfg shoulder.

But I will add a couple personal comments. I consider Sam one of my best friends who, like a lot of folk here, I'd give the shirt off my back to. Alhough Sam and I have never met face to face; and do not meet eye to eye in some aspects of the political arena; we have pretty much agreed to disagree. I understand where he is coming from though I might dispute some of his conclusions.
Sam is very passionate about his beliefs and his tendency to call a spade a spade in blunt terms can offend some, (something I have noted among my numerous other ex-LEO and Military friends). It clearly has here on more than one occasion.
In spite of his brusqueness at times, Sam has a very deep feeling for this community even though he has crossed ideological daggers with some of us. I think the ongoing uncertainty and confusion over the "change" may have made him a bit "sensitive" in some of his reactions, which in turn may have offended others.

But I daresay that most of us have also done that on one time or another. Also we all have raw nerves about some specific topics, and preferences about others. I know there are folk here who seem to have a knack, without intention I am sure (or at least I hope so) of putting a burr under my saddle too. So I tend to skip threads or posts rather than raise my blood pressure, or post a response to something that I will have to apologize for later.

I know that some of us are sitting back a bit and waiting with more that a little bit of trepedation to see what direction a new ownership and management will take this site. It feels a bit like living in a house you have rented in a neighborhood you have grown to love and then finding out that a new landlord has taken over.
Will it still have a balance between hunting archery and target archery, at present it seems to have drifted toward the target archery side. However I know that tends to shift a bit with the seasons and may swing the other way as hunting seasons approach.
Will the philosophy of the moderators change and how will it be applied.
How will the economics of the site impact content and the sites original purpose and the culture that has evolved.

The silence and the mystery to date has only added to my, and probably our, apprehension

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.