Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hoyt sky hunter supreme that is all original but i have been thinking about converting it to ILF and putting a better set of limbs on it.I shoot this bow hands down more accurately than any other i own. My question is does anyone think that the limbs are the reason i shoot this bow so well.I tend to think its more the riser and more specifically the grip. What are your thoughts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Mike, I agree with you in thinking it is the riser. Some bows just "fit" better and we are more accurate as a result.

Have you shot the Rambo riser warfed to take ILF limbs? Did it feel the same?

I got to talk with Earl Hoyt years ago and he told the story of developing those limbs. They were number 52 or somewhere in there. After he patented them he said they became the most copied limb profile ever. He was a great contributor to the sport.

·
Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Glynn, what is number 52 referring to? Thanks in advance.
Mike, I think the Rambo riser is just a great riser, all around.
I think if you warf it and run even cheap limbs, it will still shoot great for you.
If you warf it and put on some top limbs, you'll have a winner.
I think you can warf it and put 27 sets of limbs on it and it will shoot great for you.
That's how much faith I have in the Rambo risers.
BUT, if it looks like your limbs will hang together for you, think long & hard before converting it.......but if your limbs go south, go ILF.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Jerseyboy...The limbs on the Sky Hunter Supreme are really good glass/wood limbs...I have a set here that I got from Bob Gordon, they were on the Rambo/Bolt down WARF that I bought from Him a few years back...I also have a set of 2nd Generation Gold Medalist limbs, the limbs with the striped oval shaped tip overlays, and they are really top shelf glass/wood limbs also...But I'd have to agree with Glenn, and Steve, and say that the riser is most likely why You shoot the old Hoyt bow so well...That Rambo riser is deflexed a bit, seems to weigh just enough, and the grip is superb...You bow, with an "old School" 4" steel "Stubby" stabilizer is a stable, sweet shooting, shoot-where-Ya-look kinda rig, and many bows out there today have that good 'Ol Hoyt deflex/reflex geometry to copy, and steer them down the path of what shoots good, or doesn't...If it aint broke, dont break it, man!...;).....Take care.........Jim

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Accuracy comes from the grip, or lack of one. I've had risers that for the life of me, were not consistent. I changed or removed the grip and a whole new bow! If the bow were clamped in a vice it would shoot the same every time. It's the interface between the archer and the riser that is a variable. Some grips are more repeatable for certain people, hence the reason this Sky shoots so well for you.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I feel like a good grip and stable bow arm is the foundation of form and accuracy. This opposed to say stance or breathing...

Rasyad

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Not if you're doing everything consistently badly JP. Practice is only good if it's ingraining good stuff, it's harmful if it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to do it "right" to be good, you just have to do it the same way every time.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I also guess accuracy is relative. If you want to hit a barn door at 10yds or a gold center at 90yd, the process may by different but as my fathers regiment used to say, live by the 6 P's. Proper Practice Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts