Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen this thread on the wall many hundreds of times, but this site is much different :0) Of course, the answer on the wall is 17.2 yards...or was it 17.3...anyhow, just curious how the "archers" of Trad Talk feel about it.

I'm not looking for a debate, people telling others they are right or wrong, just curious. Becoming better archers and shooting tight groups at 40, 50, 60 yards can definitely give a guy a reason to take a longer shot, but we also have to remember that every scenario is different and a game animal is a little more dynamic than a piece of paper, a paper plate or even a Rhinehart 30 Pt. buck!

Personally, my max deer/elk range changes all the time with my proficeincy, but I think this fall it will be in the 30 yard range. 35-40 if things REALLY get good this summer, shooting wise. I am not against long shots (35+ yards), but I think you really have to take a good look at the critter and try to gauge how they might react to the string or if they are naturally going to move...or whatever.

Tell ya what though....I'd sure love to get that 5-15 yard broadside, close leg forward, mid bugle shot on a good bull this year!!

Ernie

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sitting here at the computer, I feel comfortable at a little over 35 yards.
When a shot presents itself, things may cause me to feel entirely differently.
I have made great shots at fairly long range. I have missed from all sorts of distances.
I've been out of town this weekend and haven't shot. My confidence is high. Later, who knows.
As you're well aware, for lots of us there's no one answer to this question!

Jim

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
25yrds. I try to set up my stand so that I'm 20yrds off the travel lanes, but I'll take a 25 yarder if it presents itself properly.

·
Old guy
2,574 Posts
0-40 yards—but It depends on the game. Maybe out to 50 on a standing elk sized animal that doesn’t know you are there- It all depends on the game-how alert it is- type of shot. Some times the 17.3 would be to long. To me it’s the at the time judgment, to many variables to consider for a blatant call.:2cents:

G

·
Since I shoot instinctively...if I can see 'em I can hit 'em...

LOL...I'm good to 20 with a LB...35 with a WARF...but I don't think I'd push it that far unless the animal was asleep on it's feet...

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
If it's a squirrel, somewhere around 150 yards is my max. :) I figure with game as small as squirrels, the chance of a hit killing cleanly is the same at any distance. Turkeys, about 20 to 25 yards. Deer 30 to 35 yards under optimal conditions. Larger game like elk, caribou or moose I wouldn't hesitate to take an open shot at an unalerted animal out to about 40. It's all situational, though. the closer the better and what the animal is doing while I'm deciding on the shot has a lot to do with my decision to shoot or pass.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
flexability

I had a big old tom hang up on a hill at about 33 yrds. To far for me to shoot at a turkey, at least thats how it started. After about two hours of sitting like a post, watching him strut and gobble,, waiting on this guy to either leave or come on in. My yardage requirements began to waiver a bit. Befor much longer, 33 yards at a turkey seamed possible, after all the practice to get proficient with my shooting, it came down to this. This what i was being offered. I made my decision and I'm willing to live with it. I know that these situations will likley happen again, I'll just have to figure it out as it comes, and in the mean time, keep practisin..

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It varies from year to year. I basically qualify myself during the summer by analyzing my shooting on targets, stumps, and small game. This year 40 seems very reasonable.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
when i first came back to recurves, the first couple of years i would have been pushing my luck at much over 15 yards. i am practicing on out to 35 & 40 yards now; & coming within a few inches at those ranges 90% of the time. still, that is at leaves & dandelions in my & my neighbors yard. they don't flinch at the sound, or take a sudden step, nor reach & scratch with a hind hoof when least expected. thusly, i aint likely to take a shot much over 20 to 25 yards. as i have said here before, most places i hang stands at, you can't see a deer much over 20 yards or so. ps2

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hornseeker,

I know this question comes up a lot from time to time. To tell you the truth I think it depends on the geographic location on where one hunts. In the woods of the northern part of the country with woods and clear cuts a close shot is where most shots are found. Even in the midwest farm country and hunting field edges most shots are from a close range. Out West is a different story with more open ranges, mountains ranges, deserts and other conditions ones opportunty to shoot farther ranges can be expected.

Also the game being hunted would determine at what range one would need to shoot. The whitetail around Ohio is an example of the 17.3 yard range and even stalking hogs in Texas or down South. But one may have to extend their yardage as they move farther West for Game such as elk or even antelope.

As we have and other sites have people from different areas of the country, each ones idea of an ideal range can be different. Limitation of yardage is from mostly the individual not the equipment.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Depends on the time of day,weather and a thousand other things that change each minuite I am hunting.I would like to have them all at 17.3 if possible.:) I have taken only 2 shots at deer over 30 in almost as many years of hunting and ate both of them. I consider bowhunting a short range sport no matter how well I can shoot and try to work toward that end while hunting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
As usual I like the way James put it. Last fall I shot one at 5 yards and another at 23 yards and that about says it for me. I love em in close but shoot enough to feel confident at 25 maybe 30 depending on the cirumstance. The 23 yarder was a feeding deer in the wide open with its head down. I have seen to much stuff happen with critters much over 25 yards to want to risk many shots much past that. So many variable Ernie and with you heart about ready to burst I try to err on the safe side:)

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Out to 20 yds. barebow.... with a sight, out to 30 yds.

Now, put those numbers into most hunting conditions, and it's more like 15 & 25 yards.

Anything over that is a no-no for me right now, but I'm working on it.

Just because I practice a lot at 30-40 yards doesn't mean I'm confident with that in the field... yet.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
With one of my wood bows, at 15 yards I am trying to decide how to cook what I am shooting at. At 20 with a wood bow, I have to focus awfully hard to get that accuracy as good. With my warf I feel good out to twenty yards on deer sized targets. I am trying to increase my range, but I don't have the facility to practice much past 20 yards. In most of the places where I hunt it is thick enough that it is more important to set up for a close shot.

Last year I shot deer at 10 and 15 yards with my wood bows, and at 15 yards with my warf bow. I took one shot at 20 yards that I felt real good about. That was until the deer jumped the string and I shot over his back. My ultimate goal is to be able to drill turkeys and deer consistently at 25 yards.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Look at Tuff's and James' posts above. I think both describe my sort of pragmatic approach. Barebow, 20-25 are deadly ranges for me and I'll take shots at those ranges even with complications, but I'm not crazy about reaching farther unless fortune and necessity dictate. As you know, Ernie, almost all my hunting is done on the Montana plains these days. The 40 yard shot just has to be something I carry in my quiver. I've taken both mulies and elk at that range and a little further, but none were shot barebow. My longest barebow was on a very large bull at 32 yds, and I took it because my hunting time was ending and I had been out shooting targets with a bare target bow. I use a single site with a large aperture for these longer shots. Since my sight anchor is classic FITA - middle of chin, and lips and side of nose touching string, I can shoot barebow at my jaw joint anchor without having any of the sight in my line of vision. My reference points on the aperture begin at 30 yds and go out to 60. Would I take a 60 yarder(?) - probably not, but can't say I wouldn't take a 50 yarder under the right circumstances with this set-up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm right there with a bunch of ya - It depends on what the animal is.
If it's a nice whitetail buck then I want to be careful- with my recurves around 30yds, with my old 80s 55# Quadraflex compound- with 4 pins- 40yards. (It's more about penetration)
I shoot the same ole heavy 2117s or 2018s out of both of my 55# recurves and my old Quadraflex. (I shoot my old Quadraflex with my fingers)
If it's a squirrel- I'm with PappaBull- 150yds is in range :)
Feral hog- 60yds sounds like a good number ;)

G

·
This has turned into an interesting thread, which is complete testimony to this site because I've seen it before on three of four sites maybe twenty times each...and this is the only time I've learned anything...

For what it's worth, I aspire to the kind of proficiency Oz is describing out West...with a Lb...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You'll get it done, Pete. Years ago I spent too many seasons waiting for that 20 yard shot on a nice bull, and passing the 40s. My reasons for passing just wore thin before my desire to take a big one. Since that happened I haven't come home from a season empty handed often - now that I think of it, only two.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts