Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Titan II riser with Morrison Max 6 medium limbs that draw 53 lbs at 28 inches. I make my own 3 bundle Flemish strings, with 6 strands of BCY 452X in each bundle. NAP Center Rest. Gold Tip Trad XT 340 shafts with 150 grain inserts (GT brass + 50 grain screw-in), 3-fletched with 5 inch AAE vanes. 175 grain VPA 3-blade broadheads.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
How long is your riser and how was it tuning with the medium limbs? My 17” riser and short limbs provided to be a challenge to tune (for me anyways). But they are flying great now with 200gr 3 blade VPA’s.
My riser is 17 inches long, and the bow has behaved very well in that it responds to tuning adjustments exactly the way it should. However, this is NOT a forgiving setup, and the way it shoots (arrow flight and my accuracy) is very sensitive to the slightest changes in my shooting form. To get consistent arrow flight, then, I have to anchor in EXACTLY the same spot with EXACTLY the same back tension each time, I have to cant the bow exactly the same way each time, and I have to establish and follow a very precise shot sequence which emphasizes target focus throughout my draw and release, with precise timing of each step in the sequence. When it all comes together, though, this setup shoots better than any heavy hunting recurve I've owned - with arrow speed and energy that are amazing from a recurve bow. Another plus is that this setup is surprisingly quiet - especially for a super recurve. At the last 3-D shoot I participated in a couple of bystanders remarked that this bow is quieter than many longbows - with hardly any silencers on the string.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
What constitutes a "forgiving" setup and how to achieve it are interesting questions - particularly when it comes to heavy hunting bows - that probably deserve one or more threads of their own.

Seems to me that once you decide what level of performance (arrow weight, energy, and speed) you need for whatever you're hunting, that pretty much defines the boundaries of your tradeoff space. So, for example, with my setup I'm getting about 46 ft-lbs of arrow energy. Longer limbs might make my bow more forgiving.... but to achieve the same arrow energy I'd undoubtedly have to add some draw weight, and given my physical abilities, shooting that much draw weight would probably be less forgiving in the end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts