Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After shooting a compound for 40 years I took up the recurve just before Thanksgiving and I will never shoot the compound again barring injury. I am addicted,

My son and I went on a DIY elk hunt in 2019. 2020 we canceled due to Rona and then my son joined the Navy last fall. Barring an unforeseen deployment we want to go back next year to Colorado.

My Current setup is an EXE Scream 21", Uukha Gobi Mediums 43lbs OTF. Uncut GT Hunter 400's with 225 grain tips and 4-4" feather. TAW 535 gr., Springy rest and either Magnus Stingers or Original Muzzy 3 blades. For elk I would use either the Magnus or VPA 3 blades. My draw length is 29.75".

What is your elk set up, Bow, arrow, broadhead, draw weight, draw length and total arrow weight? What if anything should I change? I suspect I am on the light end of what most are using.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
599 Posts
66" A&H ACS G10 - 45# @ 28", Metalanton limb bolts 5.5 up - 6.6 dwn, 10 Ring Mercury string, 5 arrow Selway slide-on. 31.5" GT Kinetic 300s w Ballistic Collars, 4 fletch 3" Impulse vanes, 175gr German Jager double blades - 210 up front - 575 total:

Sky Plant Tire Wood Natural environment

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
575-600grn arrow 50-55 spine, 30” Cedar, two blade vintage Magnus and woody weight (190 grn).

Selfbow [email protected] and [email protected] either will get it done.

recommend a two blade and take only high % double lung shots with bow at that weight or like me get in close and take nothing over 20yds.

HH~
I should have said I am looking for opinions what if anything I should change. I shoot this well and expect with more than a year to shoot even better but also thought the set up was light for elk.

·
Spearhead
4,009 Posts
Personally I would look at the game laws and see what weight they require, Stoutstuff is from co so he knows they’re regulations, I’m from Wy and the minimum weight for elk is 50#, used to be able to cast a 400 grain arrow so many yards.
so I usually hover in the 50-53#
Setup as we speak.
wfx 21”
Uukha sx50 set at 49 right now at my 31” draw
Springy of corse 25oz spring with a metalanton springy nylon nut
8oz metalanton weight
Easton autumn orange fmj’s 400 spine full length.
125-150 gr point 500-525 gr arrow
Pin bushing and nock, 3-3.5” natural turkey feathers, harvested, ground, burned. 20 strand 8125 with dyna puffs and served with bcy 3D center and end serving made by yours truly.
points for elk we’ll see but have plenty to choose from 2 blade to 3 blade.

Chad

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I would look at the game laws and see what weight they require, Stoutstuff is from co so he knows they’re regulations, I’m from Wy and the minimum weight for elk is 50#, used to be able to cast a 400 grain arrow so many yards.
so I usually hover in the 50-53#
Setup as we speak.
wfx 21”
Uukha sx50 set at 49 right now at my 31” draw
Springy of corse 25oz spring with a metalanton springy nylon nut
8oz metalanton weight
Easton autumn orange fmj’s 400 spine full length.
125-150 gr point 500-525 gr arrow
Pin bushing and nock, 3-3.5” natural turkey feathers, harvested, ground, burned. 20 strand 8125 with dyna puffs and served with bcy 3D center and end serving made by yours truly.
points for elk we’ll see but have plenty to choose from 2 blade to 3 blade.

Chad
I figured I would probably get the same limbs at 40lbs and at my draw length with 21" riser I would be at 49lbs according the Uukha calulator on their website.

I make my own compound string and will be making my next set of strings for the recurve. I have never heard of someone using 3D for the center serving. It has been 62xs or Halo. Curious about your choice?

·
Spearhead
4,009 Posts
Goinghunting
Serving is completely due to cost and material.
I used to use .019/.021 halo and love it, 3D is .017
.016 same material as halo but is twisted, halo is braded (from bcy)
So, I like a thicker string for personal reasons (I feel they are more stable and forgiving) 3D being smaller diameter I get both worlds, more strands and cheaper serving material and same great quality as halo.

Chad

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Goinghunting
Serving is completely due to cost and material.
I used to use .019/.021 halo and love it, 3D is .017
.016 same material as halo but is twisted, halo is braded (from bcy)
So, I like a thicker string for personal reasons (I feel they are more stable and forgiving) 3D being smaller diameter I get both worlds, more strands and cheaper serving material and same great quality as halo.

Chad
Are you shooting an endless loop or flemish. I have no idea how to make a flemish. I ordered my first recurve strings and even adding .021" 62xs the nocks are somewhat loose. I had I think .025" and it was way too tight. I think I am going to make a thicker endless loop D97 and use the .021".

·
Registered
688 Posts
Not that I have any idea as to what I am doing with elk.
I am however going after em this year with
My 19” tempest with sx50 longs. [email protected] drawn to 30” or so off a springy.
Arrows are right at 470 grains. Iron will wides 160 grain glue ins on the end of em and ebay lighted nocks. 3x ff360 vanes on 32”x impacts.
Really chomping at the bit to get after it

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Goinghunting
Yes endless loop, with the .021 did you serve your tag end under the serving that will normally get it tighter nock fit.
Chad
I did serve the tag end under and it was still too small. I ended up cutting it off again and serving the tag end and a separate piece of serving under it and that worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
58” TD Toelke Whistler #40 @ 28” (my draw length 30”)
Black Eagle arrows 400 spine.
Broadheads VPA 200 grain 2 blade, 200 grain.

Total arrow weight = 537 grains

I’ll limit my shots to 20 yards max.

This is enough bow to kill any big game animal in North America.

If I hunt a State with a minimum weight bow that is more than #40, give me a few seconds with a Sharpie and I’ll be good to go.

So, realistically speaking, you have some guy hunting with a #50 @28” Hickory self bow and he has a 27” draw and he’s “legal”. I’m over here with a bow of slightly lower poundage but more efficient and I’m not legal.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Titan II riser with Morrison Max 6 medium limbs that draw 53 lbs at 28 inches. I make my own 3 bundle Flemish strings, with 6 strands of BCY 452X in each bundle. NAP Center Rest. Gold Tip Trad XT 340 shafts with 150 grain inserts (GT brass + 50 grain screw-in), 3-fletched with 5 inch AAE vanes. 175 grain VPA 3-blade broadheads.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts