Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belong to Golds Gym. I don't use free weights too much now but the Golds I belong to has a better selection of machines and better quality of equipment overall and has more space to move around than the new Planet Fitness that just opened in my town. PF has a whole lot of cardio equipment but the other machines seem to be a little crowded in along a side wall. Something about the overall vibe of PF is a bit off too. I wish my Golds was a bit more social but PF seemed overly chummy. One thing about Golds is that if you're in need of advice here and there you can ask someone because so many there are serious about their workouts .The members of this PF seemed to be there more to socialize than anything. I am a social person too but its important to me to get a good workout in and have people around that I can ask for advice from time to time. Lastly the staff at PF just seems to be there but I have always found the staff at Golds to be helpful .So the cost for Golds is now about $23 a month and PF is $10 a month.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Our PF here is a well run facility. Super clean to say the least and open all the time.

The only pitfall in my opinion is.....you better like the color purple.

Good Shooting->->->->Craig

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,724 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I will add that the most important factor for me in a gym is that it is close to where I live. I find that I will use the gym more if I can get to it easier, especially so when I am tired after work. You don't really need much from a gym other than a few weights and some space. I take bands, TRX and a speed rope with me, and usually grab a kettle bell from the gym. I may use a few machines but you will notice that the personal trainers and the more knowledgeable folks avoid machines in favor of free weights that place more emphasis on stabilizer muscles. I go to Gold's Gym. It is 1/2 mile from my house--to closest I have ever been to my gym.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Any gym with enough barbells and squat racks for me not having to wait is good enough.
If you value your knees never squat in a machine.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,724 Posts
I quit doing heavy weight squats because it was causing knee problems (tall person's disease). Now I just hold a kettle bell in front of me and do squats at different speeds, slow to explosive. I need to explosive for climbing. Actually, I need both for climbing. But yes, a squat rack is essential. I think many folks set the catch on the rack to low, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts