Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about warfed risers or anything ilf but these bows have my attention. They just look old school with a twist. That pick on another thread of the old school hoyt riser is pretty sweet.
Are they as quiet as a manufactured ilf bow?
How do the mass weight of the risers compare?
Would a 60" total length with longbow limbs be able to accommodate a 28" draw?
How does the handshock compare?
Sorry for soo many questions but no particular style of bow has peaked my interest like these bows. If they shoot as good as they look I'm gonna have to start putting away some coin.
Thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Josh, I'll offer up some opinions. I've had and currently have, Black Bears, and three versions of the Hoyts. All done by Sam Dunham. I like the heavy weight of the risers. All dead in the hand. All very quiet, some with string silencers, some not. I like the looks of the silencers, all are multi colored yarn puffs that I make myself. They are very stable and accurate. More accurate than I am certainly. All were cheap. I never had more than $110 in the risers. The current one, $80. Limbs ranged from $80 Axioms to Winex for around $480. You can put together a warf for $200 that will shoot with the best of them. All of mine have zero handshock. It is non existant due to the riser weight.

I usually want a bow from 60 inches to 64 inches, but that's just my preference. I love to collect bows, and I can own several combinations for cheap. I can put cheap limbs on them, or go for the best, depending on my mood. Now the warfs are not the prettiest in my collection, but they look pretty darn good.

A 60 inch with longbow limbs would work fine with a 28 inch draw, but I would go a little bit longer for more a bit more stability if you didn't need a compact length.

As you have already found out, there is a LOT of information available on this forum about warfs. For technical questions, I would look to Sam Dunham for advice, He is the guru here for warfs.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
really happy you found the search tool it says a lot of time doesnt it? also take time to got up to the stickies at the top of the page and look at our TradBowTalk University AKA TradTalk Classics It is a topically organized collection of key discussions one of our senior members put together a few years ago. If guys took the time to look it over and used the search tool it'd save a whole lot of repeated repetition of the same topics over and over again. LOL

·
Banned
548 Posts
I know there is quite a warf following out there and a lot of people love them. To each his own for sure, but I personally don't see the draw. Unless you just like the idea of utilizing and repurposing and old riser, or you like to tinker, I think dollar for dollar you can get a better, more attractive, more tunable riser for about the same money.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I know there is quite a warf following out there and a lot of people love them. To each his own for sure, but I personally don't see the draw. Unless you just like the idea of utilizing and repurposing and old riser, or you like to tinker, I think dollar for dollar you can get a better, more attractive, more tunable riser for about the same money.
What risers are out there for $80-$100 that are better, more tunable? Enlighten me please. Most risers I see are $250-$400 and up.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
sylvan, Warfs had little to nothing to do with repurposing for me when I started looking, initially it was a monetary restriction. I started out on a really tight budget but I wanted an adjustable, easily tuned riser that gave me the option of changing limbs to find combos that worked best for me. I did eventually try some factory risers, even used they cost twice what my first Warf riser cost me. I didn't find that they shot any better than my Warfs, weren't any more forgiving, and once I got past the ego bump of owning a factory riser I found that when I went to the rack in preparation for a tournament those factory risers were left sitting....I picked a Warf every time. I use to get some strange looks when I came to the line with them. My average so far this year on 3D is a hair over a 9. I don't get those looks very often anymore.....

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
yeh, I don't think " dollar for dollar" or "for about the same money" can happen....as far as getting a production riser better or more tunable.
More attractive, is a possibility....and I only think of the Hoyt Excel, here.
I can see this turning into a Ford-Chevy-Dodge debate.
my warfs are cut past center & heavy enough to be stable, have plunger holes, and they all shoot great.
I can imagine a bow being prettier - - but not better or more tunable.

Reactions: rsarns

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Not sure that is possible. I have run the whole ten yards when it comes to risers and prices. From $80 risers to one over $1000. There is no way you can get a more functional riser at the price of a warf riser. Dollar for dollar that just isn't possible. My 2 warf's are very effective and stable risers. Heck I even prefer the grip on them to some of my higher priced risers. They may not be the prettiest, but if you want pretty hen you can send it to one of the many hydrographics shops and make that happen. In fact I am going to send one of mine to get a carbon matrix with a red tint on it. Northwest hydroprint does amazing work.....

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Not sure that is possible. I have run the whole ten yards when it comes to risers and prices. From $80 risers to one over $1000. There is no way you can get a more functional riser at the price of a warf riser. Dollar for dollar that just isn't possible. My 2 warf's are very effective and stable risers. Heck I even prefer the grip on them to some of my higher priced risers. They may not be the prettiest, but if you want pretty hen you can send it to one of the many hydrographics shops and make that happen. In fact I am going to send one of mine to get a carbon matrix with a red tint on it. Northwest hydroprint does amazing work.....
Amen.

I shot and hunt in the boggy bottoms. John boat, kayak very hard on bows. A Spectra Warf is the perfect bow. None is more adaptable. Fishing, night hunting pig, targets, does not get any better.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts

Under 200 bucks and near as I can tell perfectly straight. I went with a warf because there wasn't a hunting riser out there that did what I wanted. I warfed the dorado so I could have more options for limbs and some tiller adjustment.

Sam is the man when it comes to Warfs.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
some of you have seen these before, SORRY, but these are my favorite warfs.
L-R - Hoyt 21" Rambo (times 2), Hoyt Tracker 19", Hoyt TD-1 16"(x2), and a
17" Ben Pearson Equalizer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
add in this one, 19" Quinn Stallion warfed to ILF.....my longbow riser.
Soon as I get some spring trails work done and more time, I plan to put a proper green on the Super Rest.
It shoots super with the Sky longbow limbs on it.
Sam warfed it and Jerseyboy painted it. Thanks x2, there.

Attachments

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
add in this one, 19" Quinn Stallion warfed to ILF.....my longbow riser.
Soon as I get some spring trails work done and more time, I plan to put a proper green on the Super Rest.
It shoots super with the Sky longbow limbs on it.
Sam warfed it and Jerseyboy painted it. Thanks x2, there.
I really like that riser. It's really kind of hard to tell just looking at a picture but I like the look of that grip.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Hoyt Rambo, Spectra and Gamegetter & Raider have this same basic (real close) grip....Sky Hunter SUpreme and Sky Target supreme, also. (old Earl Hoyt / Sky)

Reactions: Josh Perdue

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
I really like that riser. It's really kind of hard to tell just looking at a picture but I like the look of that grip.
OK see reverse side of the QUINN grip.....and more of Jerseyboy's PAINT!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
I know nothing about warfed risers or anything ilf but these bows have my attention. They just look old school with a twist. That pick on another thread of the old school hoyt riser is pretty sweet.
Are they as quiet as a manufactured ilf bow?
How do the mass weight of the risers compare?
Would a 60" total length with longbow limbs be able to accommodate a 28" draw?
How does the handshock compare?
Sorry for soo many questions but no particular style of bow has peaked my interest like these bows. If they shoot as good as they look I'm gonna have to start putting away some coin.
Thanks
QUIET yes. Same as any other ILF riser, correct brace height for bow goes a long ways, and string puffs to finish it out, if needed. Some of mine run bare.
I have not weighed my risers, but they CAN run the gamut from light to heavy.
My keeper warfs all fall in the middle, I think....as told to me by my bow arm.
60" & longbow LONG limbs will work I WOULD SAY, for 28" DL, but I'll say you MIGHT need to back out limbs bolts a turn or 2, & not run buttoned down.
NO WARF I HAVE HAD has had any hand shock.........but I also have to say none of my ILF or DAS production bows have had any hand shock.
I've probably tried as many longbow sets of limbs as most folks, just in trying to find the best fit for me, and I think if you are used to longbows in general, you are really going to like ILF takedown warfs with longbow limbs, if you get the right combination, especially.
I have tried a lot of things, and I currently have 1 early DAS Dalaa riser, 17", and several warfs, several ILF recurve limb sets, and 1 SKY ILF longbow limb set.

Reactions: Josh Perdue
1 - 20 of 23 Posts