Trad Talk Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm going to try to secure some meat with my compound (Prime Logic). If I am successful then I am going to carry my new to me (Thanks Phil Magistro) Gillo Ghost. Shooting some Black Eagle vintage 400's with 100grain insert and Magnus black hornet serazors. I've only had it a couple days and I am good to 25yards. Might be better by then.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
My go to bows are my JD Berry duo shooter and my Sunset duo shooter, I am ambidextrous. However, today, an old longbow friend dropped by with his compound shooting friend, that is thinking about getting a recurve. His claim was that the Hill form could work on a longbow, but never on a recurve. I assured him that it would, but if he needed to hold and aim a bit that would be fine and perhaps the wrist and bow arm could be a little straighter with the recurve grip, but the basics are not much different. He wanted proof, I went and got out a left hand 55# 58" Wing Pro to show him. Then he bragged that he could out shoot us both on my deer target. I kicked his butt with a 30 arrow round from 20 yards, and by a good margin.
I did not now that I could hit the little heart circle that consistently with that little recurve. It really sucks when you know that a 58 or 60 inch recurve, shooting a common aluminum arrow pushing an Eskimo head and doing nothing fancy, split finger instinctive, has been able to easily kill a deer for over 60 years with no problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm waiting for a couple of bows to come back from weight reduction before I can commit. One is a 64" Quinn stallion and the other is a 66" St.Charles Thunderbird. Recently I built a Frankenbow that is in the running. It's a Black Bear riser with limbs from a 64" takedown longbow and I am quite surprised how well it shoots. Arrows will be 2016's or maybe 2018's with 150 gr. 3 blade heads either Snuffers, Woodsmans or MA-3's.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Same old BW HS 58" 54# I had last yr.
GT 340's w 50gr added to reg insert and 125gr Cutthroats.

Was so hoping to buck out with it, but my little hunting spot has been screwed up this yr.
Got to get the CO involved.

With gun season being ruined, looks like maybe secondary rut w the Widow.

Ever since I got my appendix removed in Sept, I have been running on the "cool side" and late season is just gonna be brutal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Took my first three with a BW PCH, 54" and [email protected] CX Heritage 90 tipped with a Silver Flame Overkill 200gr, 1 and 7/8th" cutting dia. Very impressed.

Just shot my buck with a Toelke Troll, 52" and about [email protected]". Beaman Ctrshot 500 tipped with a 200gr Cutthroat single bevel. Complete pass through and very little blood. Good thing I saw where he went, and fortunately only about 70 yds. Other wise it could have been a problem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I’ll be using a 62” Samick Discovery with 45# carbon/foam limbs with 42# on the fingers shooting full length 500s with 150grn Stingers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got a Tradtech Titan III with Tradtech Black Max 2.0 at 40#. This is my first year with a recurve since I was a teenager, 50 years ago. If I do not get one with my bow I will get one with my flintlock after Christmas.

·
Registered
139 Posts
2019 thread….

2021 I have a quandry. I’m leaving in 3 weeks.
I wanted to use the 19” ILF Stalker riser I ordered at the beginning of Feb but I got it 4 months late- last week. Im on vacation with the fam so no shooting this week.

I think I’m just going to use my Dryad riser/ Uukha Vx limbs, 48#s +/- 557g Centershot 340’s with German Jaegers as that setup is what Ive been hunting with.

Wyoming elk and a Cow moose tag in Co….then whitetails and late season Coues deer and javis.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gonna be using two setups this year.

My first is a Bob Lee Signature recurve 50 lbs at 28 inches. It’ll be throwing a 400 spine Victory Carbon Trad arrow with the 80 grain outsert and 200 grains broadhead (635 grain total). I’ll have Simmons Interceptors and a couple Cut throats in the quiver.

My second is a 60 inch Raptor Longbow that is 54 lbs at 28 inches. It’ll be flinging a Bloodsport Timberwolf 400 spine with a 50 grain insert and a 200 grain broadhead and they will probably be Grizzlystik Overkill single bevels (534 grains total).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I had a really good season last year. I took a couple good bucks with my compound. So this year I’m using recurve or longbow. Mostly gonna hunt out of saddle or on the ground. So leaning towards my Striker RK1 45 lb. short light, shooting 435 grain arrow. Magnus broadhead. But I’m loving my 64 inch thunderstick 49lb. We, see. I have another month or so to sort it out. In reserve 62 inch Predator at 47lb. Lots of awesome options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Bows going to he the thunderchild.
Got some arrows shooting really well right now that are 600 grains. Vpa 2 blades or grizzlies 250 grains.
Arrow may change as Im playing with a shorter draw/front of the face anchor.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hopefully at least 2 deer. First year hunting with a bow! Got them coming to within 10 yards of my stand.

Bow 1. Treadway Black Forest Longbow. 56" 46#, Black Eagle Vintage with 150 gr Magnus Stinger Buzzcut.

Bow 2. Primal Tech 60" 40# longbow. Black Eagle Vintage, 150 grain Grizzly single bevel.

Bow 3. If I hunt more open woods, Elite Kure 60# with 340 Carnivore and 50 grain insert, Magnus Black Hornet Serra Razor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im trying to stick to just one bow. Last year I flip flopped and it hurt me a little Until I settled on the one bow.

Reactions: Matt flint

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
going with my Lone Tree r/d longbow as usual. have quit the farms i've been hunting in recent years; going back to the old mountain haunts while i am still able...now that i am semi-retired, i figure most hunts will be overnight trips to maximize hunting time versus walking back in there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Two bows 58" jt traditional longbow apolo 2 50lbs, 50 lb jt traditional Zeus 64"

·
Registered
14 Posts
I typically shoot and hunt many bows. This year I’ve strictly used a Bear Kodiak hunter for sentimental reasons. It’d taken a couple deer the first week so I’ll be using a Robertson Primal Styx right quick.
Wood Plant Grass Wood stain Fence

·
Registered
46 Posts
40 lb Bear Grizzly and German Jaeger broadheads. That's what I sit in the tree-stand with, anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I am running the same hunting bow that I have been running for over ten years now. I am using my Bear Black Bear Warf with 48# DAS limbs(purchased from David Sosa), XX75 2013 shafts with Rothaar Snuffer 3 blade broadheads. I mostly hunt on the ground with a homemade ghillie suit. Good luck out there this season!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts