Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You come across injured buck that is easily 200”. You get permission to put it down since you can walk up on it. Put it down and issued salvage tag. Buck has infected neck wound with maggots and smells of death. Wound is very large.

Week later it’s discovered someone a mile south made a poor quartering away shot on that deer a week before it was put down. The shot was 50 yards with crossbow and hunter said he hit high but not sure where it hit. The shot was quartering away at dark. The hunter has a couple camera pics before the deer was wounded. A dog was brought in but they never found deer.

What should guy who legally put deer down do? He has spoken to the dog tracker and been upfront about the situation. It was a mercy kill.

Does guy give deer to hunter? Does guy who put it down keep it? Would hunter be rewarded by getting buck after making what many would feel is an unethical shot?

I know the players involved in this and curious what you guys think

·
Registered
Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
19 Posts
Well, that's a fair point. I haven't seen the animal but, based on the description, I would be a little concerned about eating it.
It was the ethical thing to do...a mercy killing. The critter had been dying for a week, he just ended the suffering and that's reason enough.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Why does anyone want this deer?

You cant eat it(I wouldn't.)

Its no trophy for the guy who did the mercy kill.

Its no trophy for the guy who couldnt even manage to kill it.
That ws my thought.

Some states have a legal description where the guy finishing it off is the legal owner.....

That said, if I was the guy to finish it off, I would not care about keeping the buck and seek out the crossbow guy....

And sell it to him for big bucks.....grin

Reactions: Grizzly63

·
Registered
Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
19 Posts
That ws my thought.

Some states have a legal description where the guy finishing it off is the legal owner.....

That said, if I was the guy to finish it off, I would not care about keeping the buck and seek out the crossbow guy....

And sell it to him for big bucks.....grin
Purple Natural material Creative arts Violet Rectangle

·
Spearhead
3,581 Posts
Personally putting the animal down is the ethical thing to do, is it a trophy hunt, no, but the right thing was done and honoring the deer to be put on a wall is a good thing.
I agree with the one that kills it is who it belongs to.

Chad

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
What Carboniac said.I also would not give it back to the crossbow shooter.He lost the deer when he didnt recover it ( he gets nothing and likes it).
Why does anyone want this deer?

You cant eat it(I wouldn't.)

Its no trophy for the guy who did the mercy kill.

Its no trophy for the guy who couldnt even manage to kill it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If there is something to be had then then the guy that finishes the job a week later gets whatever that is.

im not defending the crossbow hunter at all…. But I get an overwhelming feeling of confidence when I pull back on an animal, my mind tells me “you can make that shot” everytime, no matter how small the hole in brush fit through, or bones to avoid, or anything.. waiting for a perfect opportunity is hard to do, but if you like me and can make imperfect shots sometimes.. it’s best to wait..

50 yards at dark would be easy one to pass though…

·
Registered
46 Posts
Whoever killed the deer keeps it does what he wishes with the buck. He can put it on his wall or make a set of rattling horns out of it he killed it. Thatv would apply if the guy shot it with a traditional bow compound bow crossbow rifle or any other method. The weapon use has no play in this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not a good situation for either of the guys or the deer, but I would donate the antlers to the local Hunter's Safety/Bowhunter's Safety Course Instructor. A visual aid along with the story of how the antlers ended up in the class would definitely help new hunter's remember the importance of only taking ethical, high percentage, shots.

If you hunt long enough, no matter with what weapon, you will lose an animal. Even during seemingly perfect shot circumstances, animals can move, bullets and arrows get deflected by unseen twigs, etc. It is our job as hunter's to keep that from occuring as infrequently as possible.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im somewhat joking in my previous post. Typically I would gladly give up an animal that was shot by another hunter.

Im thinking most cases of this happen pretty quick, where you are hunting with a group…or the neighbors kid wounds the buck a half hour before And that buck walks by you. I can gladly handover that buck to the other hunter.

In this case with an infected wound, that buck was shot many days prior and had been suffering for some time. Then add my personal distaste for Crossguns.

The big antlers wouldnt be a trophy I would be proud of, every time I see them I would be reminded of the suffering animal. I wouldnt want those antlers but at the same time I wouldn’t want the crossbow guy to have them either.

·
Registered
Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
19 Posts
I'm always telling people, happiness is a choice. I was sitting next to a beautiful black chick playing slots at the MGM when an employee asked her to show her I.D. She got all pissed off about being "racially profiled." I said she could look at that way and be pissed or go the other way, take it as a compliment that she looks so young. It's her choice. She'll never actually know which was true so she must choose. Same thing here. Okay, so maybe the hunt didn't go down as intended but taking the shot and ending this buck's misery is still a very good thing and something to be proud of. Those antlers can be a reminder of ethics in action and the day you did exactly the right thing. Happiness is a choice...choose it. There's enough unhappiness in the world.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
late to the party here.
nice, whoever put the buck down. he owns it. and should be complimented.
crossbow guy gets nothing & deserves nothing. he stopped looking.
Rack goes on the shop wall, it is a NICE HUGE RACK, to be revered, not as a personal trophy, but as a GREAT EXAMPLE OF A BIG BUCK.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just wanna see pics of the deer.

But I agree that whoever killed the deer tags it. Crossbow or not. I can’t imagine wounding a deer and then expecting someone else to finish it for me a week later and hand the antlers over. Heck, if if the deer was dead when someone else found it, I wouldn’t expect to claim I deer I had wounded and someone else found a week later.

Only scenario I could imagine in favor of the first person would be if a deer was shot, crossed property lines, permission was asked to retrieve deer, and permission was denied just to be an asshole so someone else could claim the buck themselves.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I put the buck down I'd keep it and sell the rack to bass pro or someone. I wouldn't feel right putting it on my wall as it wasn't fair chase. Might as well sell it and get something out of the situation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts