Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody just gave me some liver from a young deer, and I don't know what to do with it, if anything... Can anybody give me some advice? Is it safe to eat? How do you cook it? Recepies?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Ashild
.... make pate .... it makes the best pate you'll ever taste..

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's great with onions lightly floured and fried or sautéed. Guys how do you make pate guys can't find the accent so it reads weird but would be curious as to how you do that?
D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Leave it in the woods with the rest of the innards. LOL
Why eat a filter?
Been there at deer camp, done that at deer camp, can't do it anymore.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Soak it in cold water to rinse well. Slice 1/4" thick. Fry some bacon to crisp, remove bacon, then add chopped onion to the bacon fat. Let brown.

Fry the liver in the fat/onion mix, but don't overcook, a couple minutes should do it.

Dang, just made myself hungry...

PS, Red44, it's the kidneys that do the filtering. Like my dad used to joke, how do you cook kidneys? Cook the pi$$ out of 'em!

·
Sitting Bull
1,682 Posts
Dana, a liver is a filter too. The blood is filtered in the liver to remove contaminants and waste products. The blood is filtered in the kidneys to remove waste products and excess water from the blood.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Cysts and flukes, contaminants and waste products....
You guys are making me hungry!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
As long as it's pickled in red wine, I'll try it!!!
Shiraz or Cabernet? Maybe a Rioja?

(Set voice = 'wine snob') "The pairing of the grape and wild game liver must be undertaken with great deliberation. While a cabernet is suitable for deer liver, one must pickle moose liver with a lighter vintage, possibly an old vine Zinfandel. And elk, of course, require a Merlot for best effect."

Sorry. (I know a few people who actually talk that way. Nuts, but they set a good table ;-) )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, speaking about red wines, don't forget the portuguese ones, from our best hunting region, Alentejo.
The majority of them are a perfect match for wild game meals; but I really favour the ones from Granja-Amareleja-Mourão, or from Terras do Sado, near the city of Setúbal.
Start with a good Madeira dry white wine, and after the meal...a nice Porto, or an old brandy like Antiqua, or Carvalho, Ribeiro & Ferreira!
JB

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
JB, I live in one of the most Portuguese towns in the USA - Ludlow, Massachusetts. Yes, there are a lot of good food and drink options here ;-)

State soccer champions. Again. A 'tradition' here since I was a schoolboy ;-)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shiraz or Cabernet? Maybe a Rioja?

(Set voice = 'wine snob') "The pairing of the grape and wild game liver must be undertaken with great deliberation. While a cabernet is suitable for deer liver, one must pickle moose liver with a lighter vintage, possibly an old vine Zinfandel. And elk, of course, require a Merlot for best effect."

Sorry. (I know a few people who actually talk that way. Nuts, but they set a good table ;-) )
Crikey! So many wines, so little time hahaha :help: (best get drinking)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, speaking about red wines, don't forget the portuguese ones, from our best hunting region, Alentejo.
The majority of them are a perfect match for wild game meals; but I really favour the ones from Granja-Amareleja-Mourão, or from Terras do Sado, near the city of Setúbal.
Start with a good Madeira dry white wine, and after the meal...a nice Porto, or an old brandy like Antiqua, or Carvalho, Ribeiro & Ferreira!
JB
The dry Madeira I hope I can get here, and I will ask about the regional reds. As for the Port; picked up a few really good ones when I was in Porto this summer. What a place! Going back for sure :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Cut up in small quarter size pieces, let soak in water for 5-10 days, put in on the end of a proper treble hook and go catfishing

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cut up in small quarter size pieces, let soak in water for 5-10 days, put in on the end of a proper treble hook and go catfishing
Bob, somehow I knew you would have a good liver recipe when I saw you had posted here!! LOL

We have about the same regards for liver I see!!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Best use of it that I know :):):)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts