Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shooting 29" 20/16's with 175 gr. tips from a 42 lb Exel recurve, and they shoot slightly stiff for me. I would like lighter tip weight ,85-100 gr. would be good, would a 20/13 work for me or would a lighter spine be better?

·
Registered
291 Posts
More tip weight= weaker spine I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong fellas

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
A heavier tip makes the dynamic spine weaker. Dynamic is how the arrow reacts to the bow.

Why do you want to shoot 85 to 100 grains?

2016 has a deflection of .531 and a 2013 is .610. So yea it's weaker. To me economically and physically it's easier to put on a heavier tip. Also better for broadheads.

Bowmania

·
Spearhead
3,573 Posts
OR

If your thinking of changing shafts, might try a few 2016 shafts in 30 or 31"
That will weaken your spine so you can drop down with point weight.
If it will go as low as 75 grains???
Or full length shafts.
Just another thought

Chad

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coodster, I was trying to get a lighter arrow for longer field shots, having never shot arrows smaller than 20/16's, I was really asking, if anyone had experience with 20/13's and that tip weight, and if they would well with my set-up?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've had 29 1/2" 2013s working well out of 50# @ 29.5" draw with 100gn Nib points so am guessing they'd be stiff from info you provide. Guessing again, you'd could probably leave the shaft 30" or 31" and shoot a 100 gn point but there's really too many individual variables, center cut, string material, your actual draw etc. Have you tried playing around on Stu Millers calculator?

·
Spearhead
3,573 Posts
I also agree with Scott, if carbon is an option, I'm shooting beman ics hunters 500 spine 30 or 31" (can't remember) with 85 gr points, giving me a 350gr arrow, out of my 41/42# on my fingers with my ionx.
I can get lower arrow weight if I go glue in points, that's next year tho.
My point on is 35 yards but I shoot split.

Chad

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I've had a bout with 2013's and 2213's. I'd advise you against them for a couple of reasons. One you want a lighter arrow and you can find that with carbon. And 2 the 13/1000's wall shaft thickness stinks. Hit another arrow or a glancing shot off a 3D target will bend them.

Bowmania

·
Registered
878 Posts
I always wonder how people have such bad luck with aluminum. My GT Ultralight's nocks all fell out on the slightest impacts, and the Carbon Impact fast shaft xlt's shattered readily if I hit the lumber. Aluminum is just working out to be cheaper for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts