Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to drill a hole through the wood riser of a recurve so I can install a bowfishing rest that came in a kit. Where can I order that bushing and how is it called? A link would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also if anybody has done this before tips like drill bit size , etc, would be helpfull.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just use a drill bit slightly larger that the OD, that way it presses in nice and tight. Also, be cautious if it is a laminated bow as there is a lot of stress at that point of a bow and drilling a hole may make it delaminate.

Sent from my SV650 traveling at the speed of smell

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! But the link is not working at least for me

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never mind guys, I figured it out

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
most well equipped hardware stores sell threaded inserts. they have a coarse sharp thread on the outside and various standard threads on the inside. Depending on style and mfg, some have a short allen or slotted screw on the outer portion so than you can screw it into the wood. I have used them for years. You just get the correct size for the attachment you are planning on mounting on the bow and the correct size drill. the most difficult part is getting the riser clamped and aligned so that you can drill the hole squarely centered and aligned since most risers have a bunch of compound and complex curves drilled into them. I have used wedges clamps and even short bungees to hold the riser square and secure on the drill press table.
Once I have the hole drilled properly and to the correct depth I carefully screw the insert in ----but then I back it out and coat the outside with a high grade long-set epoxy and screw it back in the wood tightly; taking great care not to get the glue inside. (though if you do a proper tap will clean it out
oner other comment many hardware stores carry these fittings in a brass or a silvery metal. I always chose the brass ones. You can use a magnet to check for steel ones--though they may rust, especially in a bowfishing context. I avoid the silvery looking ones that do not react to a magnet since they seem to be some sort of brittle pot-metal alloy. over all brass ones seem to be best for bows. I have used them for stab/reel stringtracker mounts, plunger, and bow quiver mounts.

here, for example, is a link to one source your local Ace / Tru-value / or big box hardware store should carry a selection in sizes and materials. and you'll avoid exorbitant shipping costs for small inexpensive items.
www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sl20008/?inMed=GSTORE&gclid=CNXfhqbH3b0CFeY-Mgodd3EAHQ

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys I think the front stabilizer insert will serve me well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts