Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is hand shock = vibration? Or is hand shock meant to be a nasty kick?

Many times, people mention "dead in the hand." You mean there is zero vibration felt in the hand after the shot?

A few months ago got a Hoyt Game Master 2 (and a Dorado, and a Martin Hunter and a Gail Martin ....oops) to give barebow recurve a try. At first again I never noticed anything.. but now that I've shot a bit I am now more sensitive.

I do notice that after releasing the bow, there is residual vibration. I've played with brace height to reduce /minimize, but there is an after effect of what feels like the limbs are shaking. It's not unpleasant. I added cat whiskers and that reduced the vibes significantly, along with reasonably heavy arrows (over 10 gpp.)

So can I expect a better experience on a Dalaa or a TT Titan versus my Game Master or Martin Hunter? Or is vibes just part and parcel of the physics?

Thanks,
Daniel.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I'll try to answer

Most recurve bows have a tad bit of perceived vibration at the shot

Nothing like some longbows :)

The deadest bows I have ever felt had either an all phenolic or half phenolic riser

Bows with some weight in the riser also seem to have less vides

Tuning and using limb savers and string silencers also really help In reducing

I have two titans and bad vibes do not come to mind with either

·
Registered
174 Posts
The best way I can describe the way hand shock feels would be when you connect on a baseball to close to your hands with a bat.

I had a long bow that whenever I would shoot an arrow from it, I could feel the jolt up to my elbow.

The heavier the riser the more it absorbs the vibration from the shot.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For me it should be called elbow shock not hand shock. I don't have the best elbows and a bow that causes them to flare up is not one that I can hang onto.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best way I can describe the way hand shock feels would be when you connect on a baseball to close to your hands with a bat.
OK I get this description - that's a sharp stinging sensation. Definitely not good.

With regards to residual vibration, I guess that's part and parcel of barebow recurves which is fine. It doesn't affect the shot - more about making it a pleasurable experience for the shooter.

I might pick up a Morrision Full Phenolic one day, like JParanee mentioned...

The reason I brought this up is because I shot a Hoyt Charger compound last night, and there was only a faint residual hum / buzz in the hand. So just wanted to understand hand shock versus gentle vibes.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I would agree with starrider - kind of like the baseball bat hit close to your hands. Hand shock is just that - hand shock. The bow makes a sudden jerk upon the loose and it recoils in your hand not unlike that of a gun. I believe all bows exhibit some degree of hand shock. Some more than others. AFAIK, it is more of a physics/inertia thing where heavier limbs and limb tips will exert more forces on the riser and deliver greater hand shock than a bow with lighter limbs and limb tips.

Really, the "deadest" bows I've ever shot were the parallel limbed compounds.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really, the "deadest" bows I've ever shot were the parallel limbed compounds.
That's the Hoyt Charger I shot last night... an mid level parallel limb bow (my first time.) No stabilizers on it, just with a release - and man, it really feels like nothing.

Still like the comparative weightlessness of my recurves and their natural simplicity (and silence.)

·
Registered
370 Posts
A heavy riser will help in reducing felt shock or vibration from limbs. The Gamemaster 2 is already one of the heaviest barebow riser out there so I don't think it will help much switching to a Titan or Dalaa. If hand shock is still bordering you, consider shooting full Olympic setup with stabilizer or a compound. They are almost dead in the hand. Trad bows not so much.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Hand shock is a % of limb tip mass to riser mass.

for example. take alight handled longbow. and stick some cans of cola to the limb tips. THUMP. THUMP.

not take those exact same weights. and strap them to the riser.
suddenly the same bow becomes as smooth as silk.

but a small caviat is that some times you can get a bit of limb movement that jumps back through the riser that can give a but of a thump. and quite often a change of brace height changes the harmonics and removes this minor thump.
This in our view is not handshock, but is a form of hand shock. though not related to the main and first point above

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
but a small caviat is that some times you can get a bit of limb movement that jumps back through the riser that can give a but of a thump. and quite often a change of brace height changes the harmonics and removes this minor thump.
This in our view is not handshock, but is a form of hand shock. though not related to the main and first point above
This makes the arthritis in my index finger a good tuning aid.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts