Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - what is a reasonable group for say 6 arrows at 20 yards using an unsighted bow?

I'm not talking about podium winning accuracy - I mean what would you consider "acceptable" for a moderately practiced individual?

I'm certainly still in the novice stage - so 6 x arrows on a good group is around 6", and more consistently 8". I think I'd be happy to get it down to say 3", maybe 2" for 6 arrows with practice.

I don't have the natural ability or practice time to get it down to under 1".

This is as much as consistency, as it is about overall accuracy which is why i mention 6 arrows. My 3 arrow groups (usually the first 3) are in the 2"-3" range.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
What are your goals?

Maybe your group is larger with 6 arrows because you know you will destroy arrows if you shoot them all in a 3" group.

Otherwise, a 6 arrows in an 8" circle is called, "Pie Plate" accuracy, which will put meat in your freezer any day of the week.

Have fun shooting!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goal is to be "reasonably" accurate :)
Of course "reasonable" is different to everybody...

I don't intend to compete but I'd like to know I can hit the "spot" I aim at. An 8" "spot" is pretty big in my personal view.

A "pie plate" on the range is probably much tougher under true field / bowhunting conditions.

and YES there is a subconscious element. I do have that feeling of destroying my arrows at 5 yards (my at home practice range) but at 20 yards, my arrows are not in danger LOL

If anything, its about my lack of consistency. Putting 3 arrows in 3" is doable but 6 would mean I am reasonably consistent. Most often the remaining 3 arrows broaden the group. Often I can see the arrow recover from a poor release.

I just wanted to get a feel for what is reasonable with moderate practice.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Well, lacking any urgency to shoot within a given time peramiter, I'd say that four inches is respectable hunting accuracy at 20yds. (I) never held to that pie plate business… Heck, a plate is as much as 10"! …. Maybe I just eat large slices of pie??? I'm stickin with 4". :):):)

Tom

·
赛
614 Posts
Aim for 1", hit 2"

Aim for 2", hit 5"

Aim for 3", hit 9"

Aim for 4", hit 14"

(Salskov's Principle of Uncertainty. Works like a bad dog.)

Regards,

Salskov

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I can cover one end for you. This is a group shot by one of our poster, Gitnbetr. He won his class in Texas Indoor state Championship like three or for years in a row and set a state record that will take a while to break.

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
I bet an 8" group will win most state championships. - lbg

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can cover one end for you. This is a group shot by one of our poster, Gitnbetr. He won his class in Texas Indoor state Championship like three or four years in a row and set a state record that will take a while to break.
That's not reasonable, that's superhuman LOL

I'm sure a ton of practice hours have gone into being able to do that on demand.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think there's a lot to the subconscious desire to not damage your hard-earned shafts. Spread a few peel-n-stick dots and "aim small, miss small"...see if that pie plate doesn't shrink to teacup size pretty quick.
Personally, six shots at twenty...palm sized is decent shooting at home, maybe twice that from a blind or a treestand.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Honestly if you can put an 8" circle up and not place an arrow outside of it all day long then you are doing REALLY well. If your arrows are spread out around 8" but that group wanders around the target then you've got some consistency to be working on.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
BTW. Gitnbetr was shooting at hung practice targets. I would want any to think he was shooting 3s lol

·
Dark Ninta Clan
401 Posts
I am new to the game as well (shooting for 3 years now) learning every round I shoot something, other things are just started to click and getting "AHA" moments. I started too worrying and wondering about how small my groups at such and such should be. I have learned that in field, it is more about who is more consistent over the long haul. Seems consistency is the most important. Have shot with some good shooters in my short time, have given them a run for their money, but in the end its their consistency and my lack of that has made the biggest difference. Can I hit 3-4 inch groups at 20 yds at home.......anyday of the week lol on a field course or tourney setting.......not so much lol. It is amazing to see someone who gets in that zone and and merges the two seamlessly, consistent accuracy is pretty wicked.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Hi all - what is a reasonable group for say 6 arrows at 20 yards using an unsighted bow?

I'm not talking about podium winning accuracy - I mean what would you consider "acceptable" for a moderately practiced individual?

I'm certainly still in the novice stage - so 6 x arrows on a good group is around 6", and more consistently 8". I think I'd be happy to get it down to say 3", maybe 2" for 6 arrows with practice.

I don't have the natural ability or practice time to get it down to under 1".

This is as much as consistency, as it is about overall accuracy which is why i mention 6 arrows. My 3 arrow groups (usually the first 3) are in the 2"-3" range.
I don't find extreme spread to be the best measure.

For instance, I often put 5 in a cluster around the size of a tennis ball. That is my normal group size at 20 yards. Then I'll open it up with one flier.

Anyways, I think that the type of accuracy where an apple can be hit/touched 8 out of 10 times is a reasonable expectation for most people if you can shoot 2 or 3 times per week. That's the hard part about shooting without a sight for me, I have to shoot regularly to maintain accuracy.

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Shooting spots might help...it will take some getting used to.

I was hitting a ping pong ball with judos pretty consistantly (say 5 of 8 arrows) in the good ol days at anywhere between 20-25 yards.

Then I missed a bull moose at around 10-12 yards broadside hours later...go figure.

Your form and concentration is the key...hard part is putting it all together consistanly.

If you are trying to group real tight you are going to robinhood a few...fun the first time and maybe a few time...real expensive after awhile......so shoot spots.

jer

·
Registered
658 Posts
One good thing about this thread is finding out I'm shooting a little better than I believed I was. I thought all you guys were cramming arrows into a 2 inch spot from 30 yards. I suppose if I were smart I'd keep believing that.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
One good thing about this thread is finding out I'm shooting a little better than I believed I was. I thought all you guys were cramming arrows into a 2 inch spot from 30 yards. I suppose if I were smart I'd keep believing that.
That is the picture you post. :). I only post my best groups lol

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
We (I) tend to remember our better groupings.

If you're shooting pie plate groups, sans fliers, I figure your on a 230+ indoor round, I've not done that at a shoot yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quick two cents, if you want to be able to he really accurate without as much chance to hurt your arrows a good thing to do is set up multiple targets, shoot 2-3 arrows at each that will keep your arrows relatively safe unless your Robin Hood! Have fun man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sylvan
1 - 20 of 69 Posts