Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Graysquirrel sent me a dozen woodies I made it as hard as I could for him, I made an error typing my address. All turned out will. Thanks Graysquirrel.

I am going to shoot them off some hotter limbs but I wanted to see how they shot off my "Old Darling". This is my first group at 17 yards. Not so hot but I was finding my cant and working in my three under, middle finger anchor. Even so you can tell the arrows are a bit stiff. This is good since I am going to shoot them off a super curve limb.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I loosened the hex nut that lock the limb bolts down. Turned the limb bolts in I&1/2 turns. Ok got my cant, got my anchor locked in. I poured it on.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I think I'd be scared to stack them pretty sticks so close together rusty.....

·
Registered
677 Posts
That is a sweet looking rig…….and arrows!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I repeated the process. Screwed the limb bolts 2/3 turn out.

Hmmm I may shoot this tune awhile

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I'm just tickled to death we figured out where they went.

How do you like that burn on the feathers? I hope you do cause the others are burned the same

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm just tickled to death we figured out where they went.

How do you like that burn on the feathers? I hope you do cause the others are burned the same
Really nice arrows. I usually just have three dips of gasket lacquer, store bought cut feathers, with liner tape for and aft. These are a treat for me.

Even better they group well :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
"Store bought feathers?" Oh, the shame of it all:)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me, it seems wooden arrows react very predictably to draw weight tuning. Well this is especially in lighter weight spined arrows. You can dial them in. They react much more than carbon arrows do to draw weight tuning.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yup, tuning the bow to the arrows is a superior attribute of ILF - you didn't have to settle for the first group!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Timely post Rusty.

I've been thinking about hunting with woodies when I get out in August coming up.

You've now convinced me, there's just something about wooden arrows in the Woods.

BTW,Nice dialling it in,it shows what these set ups are capable of.

John.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Rusty, you any good at tuning wood arrows to a one piece longbow? I'm horrible. ILF is much easier to tune for sure.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rusty, you any good at tuning wood arrows to a one piece longbow? I'm horrible. ILF is much easier to tune for sure.
I got a lot better when i got top hat kit and a small fine cut japanese saw. top hat points screw onto wooden shaft. i just cut them 1/2 " at a time, screw the point back on, repeat till the arrows end up in a wad where i want then :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts