Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a metal riser ILF recurve setup for hunting. As I am no where near any shops etc I can't try before I buy. I want to shoot off the shelf and my DL is a bit over 30".
What riser / limb length combo do you recommend I get? I am thinking it will be a 64" bow unless I am convinced otherwise.
Is it 19" riser and long limbs or 21" riser and medium limbs?
Is 21" and long limbs getting too long?
I would appreciate any input as I am keen to get moving in this direction.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I don't think a 21" riser and long limbs is long at all. That will yield a 66" bow. I shoot a 64" and am waiting on a 62". I draw just under 29". I am actually concerned that the 62" might be too short, but I have shot these bows in the past as short as 60"
You can even go longer with a target riser of 21" or 23". I would not even consider anything but long limbs regardless of the riser length. A 64" bow with 19" riser and long limbs is much smoother than a 64" bow with a 21" riser and medium limbs. Regardless of what you get, you will just have to make draw weight calculations for the longer risers.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Regardless of riser length you need to be running long limbs.

Personally I like longer bow so I'd be looking for a 19-21" riser.

-Grant

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been looking at the Titan 3 and the Sky TDX 21". They both seem to be quality risers although I don't hear as much about the Sky on this forum. Any advantages to one over the other or are we splitting hairs at this point? Am I correct in saying that a 66" bow will be smoother and as long as I keep away from tree stands and ground blinds there shouldn't be any issue with extra length?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Why stay outa tree stands. Folks have been hunting from them with 70" longbows for years. And yes a 66" recurve would be very smooth for you. My 21" Hoyt Excel riser and Long SF Ult Pro limbs are my "current" favorite to shoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts