Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a RH right-eye-dominant archer shooting split vision / 'gapstinctive' at distances past about 15m. I'm peripherally aware of the point in my sight picture, but am only looking where I want the arrow to hit. I've been shooting this way for years now and am happy with my progress out to 40m with my main bow, working to push it further. Lately however I've encountered a problem relative to light angle and my eye dominance and wondered if any here have encountered the same.

I'm often shooting in our yard after work, late afternoons. At this time of year when the sky is clear the sun angle is coming from the right (at 4 on a clock where the arrow is 12), bright and across my face. I notice that my eye dominance becomes weaker or even flips during these sessions, and on occasion I hit way left. I can correct this immediately by squinting my left eye. In short, I'm unconsciously referencing the 'wrong' arrow point due to light issues. I think I have seen this in the field, also, with light from the same angle, but did not understand why at the time. It has never happened in any other light situation.

Given the fact this could be a disaster when hunting or on the 3D course, I'm considering developing an habitual left-eye squint. This is annoying as it would naturally reduce quality of my sight picture. I was also looking into shooting sunglasses, but worry about lens distortion and perhaps clearance. Has anyone else had to deal with this? If so what were your solutions?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I always close my left eye because of of switching dominance. I grew up shooting rifle with my left eye closed so it "feels" natural to me.

Years ago in my early 20s when I first tried to get serious about traditional bow I decided to shoot "instinctive" with both eyes open because all all the books said it was important. I kept having the impact point jump over to left randomly. Eventually I realized what was happening and went back to shooting with one eye closed.

I find shooting with a closed eye comfortable and much less distracting than squinting, and some people learn to make a decision to always use the right eye image even when they see both, but everyones different.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I know light can play tricks, I ran into similar issues from time to time when I referenced the arrow while shooting. What was helpful to me was putting a 3/8” strip of fluorescent yellow wrap on the end of the arrow. Referencing the tip was much better than the arrow when the lighting gets funky.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I usually shoot with the left eye closed, like Carboniac. And for pretty much the same reason. I also was taught growing up to shoot a rifle with my left eye closed. When I first came back to archery, I was trying to teach myself instinctive. As such, since then, when I shoot with both eyes open, I catch myself sometimes having eye dominance issues. It also shows up when shooting pistols with both eyes open. So, I keep the left eye closed to help with that. I only close my left eye once I am on target and aiming. Until then it's both eyes open. And I do shoot with glasses, with no issues, despite my high anchor, that is on the side of my face for proper alignment.

You could try only closing your off eye once you are actually aiming, at least long enough to verify your aim is true. I have heard of people, both in archery and in pistol shooting that wear an eye patch, or glasses with one lense blacked out when shooting, to prevent the issue you are running into.

Reactions: Remote

·
Registered
140 Posts
Light has a huge part to play if your tube shooting using string blur. Shoot indoor with different lighting a different clubs. Still 18m but the light change will play heck with you.

the rule is: Lights up sights up, lights down sights down.

same goes with hunting!

understand im not talking of shooting sights but rather the arrow tip and string blur. So, basically your using a front sight and a rear. So, the old SOTIC Priciple applies.

Aimin a very bright indoor range, then use same hold in dimmer indoor range and see what happens.

HH~

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate all these comments. TY all. Helps somehow to know that others have grappled with the same.

I'd always wondered about shooting left-eye closed as risking losing depth-of-field perception. I suppose it wouldn't matter when one has high tech help from a range finder, or on a distance marked 3D course, but what about unknown distances? My favourite kind of shooting is where I have no idea of the distance, so it's all about feeling it out in full stereo vision.

Guess I'll give it a try this weekend. Bit odd I haven't over the years, even once!

·
Administrator
867 Posts
I’ve gone to shooting with one eye closed since really bright sunlight and fatigue seem to lessen my eye dominance. The pro is that I can see my arrow far more clearly, but the con is that seeing my gap more clearly can exacerbate my target panic.

I’ve never worried about depth-of-field since shooting many ranges and terrain has shown me that my yardage judging “instincts” suck. With targets in the shadow, elevated, or across canyons (i.e., dips in the ground) I’m far better off using a range finder or consciously judging yardage .

·
Registered
789 Posts
. . . could be the beginning of an cataract in one eye also . . . just sayin’ . . .

( I’ve been there)

regards,

John

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
. . . could be the beginning of an cataract in one eye also . . . just sayin’ . . .

( I’ve been there)

regards,

John
Haha thanks. Bloody hope not! I've had my eyes checked not so long ago, so should be all good.

It's only with that bright light from the side I seem to have the problem, as though it blows out my right retina and so gives my left eye temporary dominance/override. At least that's my completely uneducated theory.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You know, thinking about this, there's one other thing I've seen, and it might be what you're looking for. I've seen some guys that had a tinted or blacked out portion on the arm of their glasses, kinda like blinders. Might be worth a look.

Reactions: Remote
1 - 11 of 11 Posts