Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I posted earlier but got no response, so ill try again.

I have found (according to charts and calculators) that my arrows that were ok for my 50# Grizzly recurve are now pretty overspined for my 50# Montana longbow.

What are the downsides to being way overspined, if any?

Havent had a chance to shoot my new Montana yet, just wondering what the negatives of being pretty overspined are.

P.S.- on the spine calculator on 3 rivers, these were my results:
bow- 48.8 to 58.7
arrow-71.5

·
Bart Harmeling
3,551 Posts
Sometimes an overspinned arrow will make contact with the riser. Can cause noise and excessive wear on the fletching. You'll also lose some energy as the fletshing drags more to correct arrow flight. Arrows with BH's may fly poorly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks boss!! If those are the only negatives I think I'm good to go for now

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
I responded to your original thread. Stiff arrows will impact left of where you are aiming (for a right handed archer). Listen and look for riser contact. Try heavier points to limber up those arrows. If your DL is 25" then your effective draw weight is more like 40#-45#, so you would size arrows for that. Use a bow scale to know for sure. Bare shaft test to confirm and adjust.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
There's no upsides or down sides to being overspined or underspined. They're both wrong and don't work. In your case, with the two 50 pound bows, one is over spined because the Griz is cut closer to center. If that's not the case it could be string material or strand count.

Although, the arrows static spine is the same, the dynamic spine (how the arrow reacts to the bow) is different.

Bowmania

·
Bart Harmeling
3,551 Posts
Mef, You're not the first one to have their shafts cut before asking if they are too stiff. I've used some of my "mistakes" as flu-flus. So much feather on those anything will fly.

Many are leaving their shafts full length these days and tweaking the spine with point weight. The full length shaft reduces the point on range for most which assists most aiming methods inside hunting ranges.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ton for your help guys! I wqas doing so much online research yesterday I was losing it. The only thing more frustrating than shooting when something is off is researching. Like I said in my other post, im just gonna have to deal with these shafts until I need new ones. Ill just fletch these with 3x5" to stabilize them

·
Spearhead
3,579 Posts
11B
Have you shot the arrows out of your longbow yet? If you don't have your bow yet and researching information your freaking out for no reason.

If not wait to get the bow in hand and try them out, ESP with your new string, a 12 strand d97 will weaken your arrow compared to the factory rope.

If you have it and are stiff then it's a different story.

Online spine calculators are notorious for being inaccurate. Stu's I hear gets you closer

Chad

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
11B
Have you shot the arrows out of your longbow yet? If you don't have your bow yet and researching information your freaking out for no reason.

If not wait to get the bow in hand and try them out, ESP with your new string, a 12 strand d97 will weaken your arrow compared to the factory rope.

If you have it and are stiff then it's a different story.

Online spine calculators are notorious for being inaccurate. Stu's I hear gets you closer

Chad
Chad beat me to it. Throw them calculators out the window, and give yourself an honest few days of shooting the "new bow" before you decide if the arrows are correct or not.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Is the "Montana" cut before center? If so you need a weaker spined arrow. To the best of my knowledge. The rule of thumb is that for a recurve an arrow should have a spine weight 5 to 10#s over the stated bow weight I. e. a 45# recurve should shoot a 50 to 55# spine all other variables being in sinc. Whereas a Long bow of the same poundage should shoot an arrow the is 5 to 10#s LIGHTER then the stated bow weight if it is cut before center. i.e. 45#LB arrow 35 to 40# spine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts