Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Roy, the waterproofing that Bohning offers works pretty good if you put it in a bag then place arrows in the bag and shake and then leave overnight.

Dewayne

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
I've had good results with the powder also. I will take it a step further and work the powder into the feather with my fingers, then take a few shots afterwards to shake off the excess. Not entirely sure what the powder is, but it reminds me of powdered rosin due to the feel on my fingers.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I've used all those too, all worked, don't know if one worked better than the others. I guess I liked the spray ones best for the convenience factor.

I don't use any feather dressing these days. I've found that real natural gray barred turkey feathers hold up very well in the rain, and much better in general compared to domestic dyed feathers. I've been buying them from Custom Feathers, they cost a bit more initially but in the long run it's about the same since they hold up so well. They don't show up as well in flight as white or some other bright color, that's about the only downside I've found.

These days my favorite strategy for keeping my feathers dry in the rain is by not hunting in the rain if I can avoid it...;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've used 2 products that are great. They are both "superhydrophobic" sprays. One is a Rust-oleum product that I bought at Lowe's. It is a 2 step spray product. It leaves a white coating on the feathers and the arrow in the area of the feathers. It makes the feathers feel stiff. The other product is called Block Out. It is one of those "as seen on TV" products, you know, the guy who sprays a screen in the bottom of his boat and shows you how the boat doesn't leak. The product is 1 step, doesn not leave the white residue, and does not stiffen the feathers. Arrows fly the same with both products and I can't tell any effect on arrow flight from either product. Both products make water roll off the feathers like rain on a windshield with Rain X on it. Block out is only available on the Internet.

I'll have a can of Block Out with me at Erie if you want to look me up and try it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'll have a can of Block Out with me at Erie if you want to look me up and try it.
Bill, I may need some of that if it's raining on Friday. Can you spray and go, or does it need to set up overnight?

Hoping the rain stops, it will be muddy enough as it is. I keep having nightmares about falling in the mud on my bow again, lol!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Tony, it dries in 15 minutes. Works like a charm. If you sprayed at the bags, it would be dry by the time we check in. Don't worry, the weather will be great. But, you ought to spray an arrow or two and check it out on the bags. You will love it.

·
goinpostal
33 Posts
Scotch-Gard works great! Spray the feathers liberally shaking off almost all of the excess. Let dry. You can put the feathered arrow under running water and the feathers aren't affected at all. And it doesn't stiffen the feathers.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've used hair spray and it lasts half a day.
Silicon spray once,,Never again.
Don't do that.
Now days a plastic bag or my hat.

The local feral Grey Goose feathers are very good at shedding water and outlast commercial feathers.
John.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Liquid silicone waterproofer from your local shoe store. Just make sure there is no lanolin in it.
What I'm currently using is made by SofSole. Comes with a cotton ball applicator. Costs $4/4 oz which is enough to put 2 coats on 8 dozen arrows. 1 coat will do but 2 coats applied when you make them will last the life of the feathers. No mess, not sticky, doesn't get on anything but the feathers. I have one arrow that's been rinsed off and blow dried after 3 deer pass throughs, doesn't look quite as good as new but it's still usable.

The feathers I've used from wild geese have held up better than commercially available turkey feathers but not as well as wild turkeys. The problem is canadians are black (invisible to me) and if you dye snows the oils are washed out in the process.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've used Scotch Guard for a long time. One day I picked up a can of silicone spray that you use on tents. Never looked back. It's so good that even when I shoot thru an animal the blood comes right off the feathers. Don't remember the name but it has a fluorescent orange cap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.