Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They have casting voids. I have done many of them and every single one has casting flaws so DO NOT load them up with more than 40-45 pounds of limb weight. Just a reminder because I do not want anyone to get hurt. Notice the voids in this first cut for a dovetail.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Now look at the finished pocket with the voids in the dovetail. Beefing with heavy plates doe's not insure strength and integrity because I see casting flaws in everyone of them in the limb bolt holes.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone ever seen a factory Mini Mag in 50 pounds or more?

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more important note on Mini Mags and 76'ers; It is JMHO but absolutely avoid the MM's with the sight window cuts from the factory. They are weaker than the others and I absolutely will not convert one. If you know somebody that will? So be it but it is not a good idea in my HO,,:shooting:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just FYI Sam. Bear sold the 76er with the sight window cut out at 45/50. It was called the 76er Custom. No idea if the riser was made differently.

Check out the sight window on the Deluxe! Interesting ad copy too. Fred was all about marketing.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one's with the sight window have less material in the pocket for helicoil threads for a limb bolt.

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
'splain the sight window thing, I've not seen that many Mini Mags.
Does the one to avoid have a "hook" in it like the Spectra?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Steve, it has a slot (like in the pic above) that's actually cut all the way through the riser. The slot would accept sight pins that would slide up and down.

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
OK, yeh I have seen those.........THanks.
So Sam you are saying the pockets are puny on these.....DULY NOTED

Reactions: Bikedog

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
I have noticed that as well in older casting Sam. Was this from different alloysand how they cooled?

Now look at the finished pocket with the voids in the dovetail. Beefing with heavy plates doe's not insure strength and integrity because I see casting flaws in everyone of them in the limb bolt holes.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do not know for sure but a good guess. I cut into a TD 24 this morning removing the hood and making myself an ILF riser with limb bolts out of it and man it was full of voids in the Pocket stop,,big caverns and I filled them JB..TD's are made so strong with plenty of material that it is not a big problem.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK, yeh I have seen those.........THanks.
So Sam you are saying the pockets are puny on these.....DULY NOTED
The top pocket bottom is very thin where the limb bolt would go and has to have a thread liner installed at the backside to make them hold.

The better risers have no sight slot and round casting marks on the back of the pockets. I have developed a plate for this risers a 1/4 inch thick and made a temp plate to produce them pre fab if someone wants to convert their own.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will leave this thread up for safety but there is little to no interest in warfing on Tradtalk anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Thanks for posting this Sam, it bears repeating. These risers aren't as beefy as most others.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sam, I have to disagree with you on the lack of interest here for warf bows. There's either one up for sale, one wanted or somebody asking about converting a riser almost every day....and I know that you've had regulars here get under your skin, but you are still the go-to guy, no matter where you hang your hat. I appreciate all that you do. Thanks for the heads-up on the MiniMag. James

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Me too.

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
YO SAM you da man, I gots to agree with Mark & Mike & James.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
Same here Sam. Say again "Drop 50 Fire for Effect. HEDP Over" !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts