Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Warf limb fit Question?( Pics added )

Well, I just took ownership of my third warf. Not sure who did the work ,but it looks like the limb, when slid into ilf button slot comes to close to hitting the end of the pocket. Can I just slide the limb in far enough so that its half way around limb bolt and not all they way in tight? Will the bow strung up hold it in place? Or will it move one way or another causing a bigger problem. I no you can sand down the limb butt. Trying to avoid that,but will if I have to.

·
Premium Member
12,786 Posts
button it down, then ONE turn back out from snugged down on limb bolts, then hold it up to light to see if contact?
This works if pockets are not closed on the sides......
Otherwise, I'd say if you can easily slide a dollar bill in 'tween butt and riser, OK
Like Michael said, if actual contact, gots to sand it (butt) clear, then use fingernail polish or super glue to seal it back up again.
It won't take much effort to sand them clear, just ight sandpaper with hand pressure, a few strokes will get it done, usually.....
I've done of few sets of limbs for DAS risers.......
Kyle, be sure to use clear polish, none of that girly pink stuff or else I'm not buyin' your limbs.
What did you buy for a warf? PICS rules apply here, buddy......

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. When I got the riser today (Its the hoyt John Ryan was selling in the classifieds) I looked it over and had read some of John's posts about the limb fit be tight. So I pulled a limb off one of my other warfs.(Trad Tech cabon max) These will not be going on the riser in question. I have a set coming from Las tomorrow,but just wanted to see how they would fit. To answer the question whether or not they were hitting I would have to say to close for comfort. My other too bows have a good 1/8 or more space. I think you answered my question and I no what I have to do. I already painted it and built up the shelf to level it out.I used jb weld and did it like a Das. I like to shoot off the shelf. Seemed to work out with the others real well. Will get picks when its done.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Steve's got it....as long as mine don't touch when they're backed off a turn or two I roll with them. You'll love that bow, I know I love mine. If there was ever a bow that made you hold it right that's the one.

Mr. Hoyt knew what he was doing when he put that grip on a bow. I won a lot of quarters and busted a lot of nocks when the Rambo first came out.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The grip on the Rambo is what has me buying another one. Love It! This new one is a little different near the shelf. Instead of having a straight site window. It flares out around the button hole, giving more room for the fletching' I'm guessing. But the grip is the same. Its a masterpiece. Hope to finish the rest tomorrow night and put some arrows through her. Now that I can post pics will get some up when finished. Thank you gentlemen.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Kyle you will have to shave about 1/8 off the limb butts to get the proper fit. When you do that, a business card will fit between the butts and the riser pocket. And to answer your PM while I am at it, the Velcro pads were there when I got it. What you got is what I got. You will definitely enjoy shooting it. And the capture on the butts will be just fine. I had no issues when I was shooting it. It was a very quiet bow at a 8 1/2" brace with a D97 14 strand string.

And that is a broadhead cutout that you are referring to.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Another option if you're feeling handy (and maybe brave) is to enlarge your limb pocket. I'm guessing it was formed with fiberglass resin or bon do or something like that. A little careful work with a dremel or router would make it so you could use any limb without binding issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Kyle you will have to shave about 1/8 off the limb butts to get the proper fit. When you do that, a business card will fit between the butts and the riser pocket. And to answer your PM while I am at it, the Velcro pads were there when I got it. What you got is what I got. You will definitely enjoy shooting it. And the capture on the butts will be just fine. I had no issues when I was shooting it. It was a very quiet bow at a 8 1/2" brace with a D97 14 strand string.

And that is a broadhead cutout that you are referring to.
Ok John ,Thanks. I took the Velcro off and painted her silver. Will see what happens without those pieces. My limbs should be here today. I had a Das 21 inch riser and went through a few set of limbs. I had to sand every pair I got.They were the carbon/foam. After the 3rd set broke I traded the thing.So far having good luck with the ILF system. Looking forward to shooting this one. I love the weight ,and the grip is perfect for how I shoot. Will let you no what I think in a day or so. Thanks again for working with me and getting it here so fast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another option if you're feeling handy (and maybe brave) is to enlarge your limb pocket. I'm guessing it was formed with fiberglass resin or bon do or something like that. A little careful work with a dremel or router would make it so you could use any limb without binding issues.
I do have a dremel. I will look into that Mike. Not sure if I could get it perfect but if there's enough room to remove a little that will help the fit,why not try?I have a vacation day tomorrow so will have plenty of time to mess with it. Have you done this to one of your risers?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mike, from looking it over pretty good when I had it, I believe that you are correct, the filler was probably made of fiberglass or some type of resin. It looked to me like the spacers that Sam makes and installs in his warfs. Whoever did it knew what they were doing, as it looked almost seamless.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
12,786 Posts
NICE, Kyle, bump looks like Earl put it there.
I just got in from shooting mine a bit.
I've not shot much lately, & ROBIN is not my name today.
I need more reps, think I will start making this part of my early routine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't go that far steve. Its working though. Couldn't wait to shoot it this mourning. The limbs came in right were I wanted in weight,42 pounds. There sabatain Flute cabon/wood. There longs,[email protected] Brace set @ 8 1/4. Tiller positive h1/8. I have a new string on so nothing set in stone yet. The bare shafts and fletched are grouping well. There Beman ics bowhunters 400 spine full length with a 145 grain tip. I doubled up a 1 inch furniture pad which with the cut out in the riser puts the arrow just outside the string. With the wool puffs and the limb saver the bow is very ,very quite. I would say its the most quite out off the 3 I have. That's all I got know. Got to go do a small side job. Heres one more pic of the finished project.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I do have a dremel. I will look into that Mike. Not sure if I could get it perfect but if there's enough room to remove a little that will help the fit,why not try?I have a vacation day tomorrow so will have plenty of time to mess with it. Have you done this to one of your risers?
I've gone after a number of risers with my die grinder (Dremel on steroids) to reshape shelves and grips and such. When I've filled in limb pockets like yours, I taped 1/8" thick strips to the sides and end of the limb butt with clear packing tape and bolted the limbs down tight. Then I packed JB Stick putty around it to fill the remaining limb pocket leaving it a little high. After it cured I popped the limbs out and sanded the putty flush with the riser. I put a little paste wax on the packing tape to act as a release agent too. The putty doesn't want to stick to the tape anyway. Remove the tape and strips and you have a nice 1/8" margin around the limb butt.

If you grind out more than you want, you could do the same type of thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike
Ii took my time and used dremel to take a little off the top. It turned out ok. I still sanded the limbs though too. They still looked to tight. I think if i had to do it again i would try and make a jig to help guide the dept and to keep it straight. I shot it a bunch yesterday and everything went well. I took the limbs off to see if any thing was rubbing. No contact that i could see. Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I like to use jigs/guides when I can. Keep an eye on the clearance to make sure you have some. I split a limb playing around with this stuff when the end of the butt bound on the riser.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right , That's what I was afraid of. Its better to sand more now then have to start all over again on a new set. I'm in the clear now.
I cant get over how well these bows shoot. I consider myself a longbow guy, but these warfs I have now. There starting to win me over.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.