Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Why don't you send Sam a PM - he knows absolutely everything about Warfs and is always willing to help!

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
FWIW:

Sam is going through some serious "stuff". He'd been a life long snuff/tobacco "dipper" and for medical reasons he had to break the habit of else. "dippers" have a much much harder time breaking it than smokers and he has been in a real struggle.
The stress and etc has aggravated his normal "irascibility" (LOL) he has been working outdoors to help work off the stress and frustrations.

He will probably be back to WARFing in the Fall or Winter I'm guessing. But he tells me that when he does, he is going to follow Bob Gordon's example and basically stick to the Black Bear and earlier Hoyts. Sam has done a lot of creative advanced reworking of oddball bows. and he has spent a lot of time on the net discussion and illustrating the work; the cost in redesign set up, jigging, and labor is too high to make it profitable for him to continue doing that kind of conversions.

Reactions: Sam Dunham

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sam hasn't responded to multiple messages on his FaceBook page, although he is still updating his news. There is a blog there that seems to insinuate he 's done Warfing. Sam has done a riser in the past for me. It came out excellent.
Regardless, this thread is intended to find an alternative to Sam, based on the members experiences here. Unfortunately Sam appears not interested.

Edit: just read the above. I wish Sam the best. He's good by me.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Sent you a PM, Have not seen your messages and I tell everyone to mix their warf jobs up a little and have my friend Broadside do them one too. Broadside is my friend and we have mutual respect of each other,,,absolutely no problem with recommending him to do a conversion.

Wayne is right,,I had to stop almost three months ago. I went to the Ear nose and throat guy for my ear ringing and he found pre cancerous lesions in my mouth. He took pictures and showed me. My gums were purple colored with a white crust on top called Luekoplakia or something like that.

I went back last Wednesday, he took another picture and showed me a side by side. My gums are clean and pink again and good news but as he told me two months ago that Skoal is almost like getting off Heroin. I am working on three months clean and will never dip again but it is a day at a time.

I want to live and bowhunt,,have fun but it takes a while to get(Have dipped all my life) back to normal. I am thinking straight now and building a few but not ready to go full blown everyday warfing again for a while.

I have good friends like Wayne that understand and support me no matter what and appreciate him. I call him "Uncle Wayne",,he keeps me straight,,tells me straight up,,,,,,,,,great old fart!:thankyou:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wow ,that looks great.. Sam, if I may ask, to your opininon which are the top risers to warf to ILF? I never had one and I am really interested.. Please ,if you do answer, state the risers overall length as I don't think I would lie to shoot anything longer than 21"...

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Wow ,that looks great.. Sam, if I may ask, to your opininon which are the top risers to warf to ILF? I never had one and I am really interested.. Please ,if you do answer, state the risers overall length as I don't think I would lie to shoot anything longer than 21"...
The list is long of the possibility's but in general Tom is speaking from experience.

Most are 21 inch risers and the way to determine riser length is to measure inside limb bolt to limb bolt. A 21 will be 16 and then you add the five inches because the limb butts are 5 inches total.

Hoyts
Raider
Rambo
Pro Vantage
TD 3
Gamegetter
Spectra

Bear BLACK BEAR

Proline Typhoon
make sure the pockets are solid on a Proline and the best are the old one's with the diamonds on the sides.

There are more but ideally these are the base risers to convert.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Guys there has been a list published here since Bob Gordon was doing the original ones. Little if anything has changed.
Basically the Earl Hoyt geometry bows mostly the TD3's, and the design more or less copied with modifications by Bear for the early round wheel compound Black Bears an some Jennings at good. Also the Pro-Lines from the same vintage.

Yes there are others that can be made to workbut most require more complex work and the extra work costs extra dollars and the resulting bow may not perform very well compared to a "good" one. You can very quickly get to the point where the bang is just not worth the saw-buck (Inflation strikes). The old budget cost WARF conversions were fine in their day, but we now have a plethora of highly developed ILF hunting recurves (Remember that the original WARFs were designed for hunting bows) and the bar has been raised as to our expectations for quality. fit and finish. that costs.
If you insist on one of the less desirable ones be prepared to pay the guy doing the work a fair price for his time and effort.

A problem we run into is that all the major bow makers kept popular and profitable riser designs and just changed a few cosmetic items---or the limbs and mechanical stuff to save the design and production costs of creating new riser design moulds & etc. Some times the name was changed, so you can find Rambos Spectras, Bucks in slightly different configurations. In many bows the name was on the limbs with little or nothing on the riser, consequently you can buy a naked riser and not know really what it is. (many Hoyts did have a TD-2/3/4 cast in the riser under the grip)

Conversely in some cases the Mfg kept a really popular name alive probably for marketing purposes even through radically different design changes. Martin's Lynx comes to ind as both a recurve and a compound in both metal and wood risers. Bear has recycled the same names multiple times over a wide range of bows. Even the highly desirable (for WRFing) "Black Bear" has a few later versions that are duds

I'd tend to avoid compounds with anything other than early slow round wheels and also and with any form of laid back limbs

Take the time and effort do a little search in the archives and the Gordon-approved list will show up. I know Erich/Short-Draw has posted it a couple times and I know Bob Gordon did too. I'm pretty sure Sam and others have also done it.

Any riser CAN be warfed, if you throw enough time talent and money at it. But the ones that should be warfed are a short list

Reactions: DanaC and aroadik

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Wayne is right,,I had to stop almost three months ago. I went to the Ear nose and throat guy for my ear ringing and he found pre cancerous lesions in my mouth. He took pictures and showed me. My gums were purple colored with a white crust on top called Luekoplakia or something like that.

I went back last Wednesday, he took another picture and showed me a side by side. My gums are clean and pink again and good news but as he told me two months ago that Skoal is almost like getting off Heroin. I am working on three months clean and will never dip again but it is a day at a time.

I want to live and bowhunt,,have fun but it takes a while to get(Have dipped all my life) back to normal. I am thinking straight now and building a few but not ready to go full blown everyday warfing again for a while.
Sam, all the best for your journey. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.