Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Hoyt Spectra warf off the big auction site for a very good price. The fella was selling it for a friend. I thought to myself, well, I hope this is a good one and I don't get burned. Just felt a bit uneasy you know, as the seller was not the owner. Weren't any really good pics either, and I had no clue who warfed it. After reading all the war stories about Sam having to fix the bad ones, I got kinda spooked, but it was too late. I won the auction.

Well, it got here, and it looked pretty good! I thought maybe I got a deal for once, instead of my usual getting screwed. The limb pockets looked to have been filled in like Sam does them, good paint job too. Heavy black color. So I ordered some Sebastian Flute limbs. They came in today. Hot dog! Now to put it together. Well, I got one limb and it wouldn't go in! I pushed, grunted, twisted, nothing! No way was that limb gonna go into that pocket. Tried the other limb, same thing. Tried the lower limb socket, same thing. I thought oh great, now I get to ship it to Sam for a fix. My good deal went down the drain, or so I thought. I remembered a spare set of ILF fittings I had in my tool box. Looked them over carefully, and they looked exactly the same. I thought oh well, won't hurt to try. So I swapped them out. Bingo! I have not a clue why, but the new set slipped right in the sockets just like they are supposed to.

The limb pockets were indeed filled in, and whoever did it, made it look like a factory fit. I kinda suspect it's one of Sam's since everything fits together so perfectly. Honestly, it looks like a factory bow although I know it isn't.

Now to string it up. I went through all of my spare strings and finally found one that would barely fit. It probably has 50 twists in it, bit at least I got it up to brace height. I'm ordering a new one in the next day or two the proper length before I do much shooting with it. Quite frankly, I'm thrilled with the way it looks, and I'll bet it shoots good too. So, after a bit of frustration, I got a winner! LOL!

·
Premium Member
12,806 Posts
GLad you got it sorted JOHN.
I've had the same thing happen before, ILF fittings do vary some.
I'll bet that baby will shoot like nobody's business.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
String length is an issue thru out the ILF universe. super curve limbs, long bow limbs, 20.5" Riser. different limb pad angles, no deflex TAC, to Covert deflex, old school limbs, mixing and matching....all have string issue. get a Spig endless loop jig and a big spool of your favorite fast flight. all will be well

·
Premium Member
12,806 Posts
I've also used SAM's trick of putting some grease in the ILF dovetail.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve, I thought of the grease, but I doubt that it would work. Those suckers were tight!

And Rusty, I almost bought the stuff to make my own, but I found a guy that works cheap, and I can have any color combo I want. Usually a 4 day order to delivery. I trade so many bows, and use so many different strings, it's just cheaper to have him make them. I expect it would cost me a fortune to get set up. My favorite squirrel talked me out of it too. When he told me the cost of materials, I almost passed out! LOL!

Sam, don't have a clue who did it, but that guy ought to go into warfing full time, and charge for it. The fit and finish in the pockets is that good. I looked hard and could not find any sign of a plate, but I know it's there. And whatever filler he used was totally seamless.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
John Ryan, I've got a couple of Warfs and I absolutely love how they shoot. They can be a little particular about ILF fittings though...it happens. Push comes to shove I just loosen them a bit, install the limbs, and retighten.

You can put a Unistrut string jig together for about $25-$30 and get an 1/8 pound spool of 8190 and a serving spool of Halo for less than $50. I've built four strings from those materials in the past week and I can barely tell anything is missing. That pretty much pays for the jig and all the makings so in my book any I build more now are free. With the money I save on future strings I figure I'll order a couple more spools in different colors now so I can add a little more variety...

·
Banned
548 Posts
Sam, don't have a clue who did it, but that guy ought to go into warfing full time, and charge for it. The fit and finish in the pockets is that good. I looked hard and could not find any sign of a plate, but I know it's there. And whatever filler he used was totally seamless.
Without pics, it doesn't exist. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can tighten up/loosen the fit of ILF limbs on the riser by tightening/loosening the screw on the top of the limb. It's the screw that holds the ILF bushing in place. This can happen from assembly, or it also happens when people add padding or protection to the bottom of the limb.

My TT Black Max limbs were originally slightly loose in my Excel riser. I gave the screw one turn and it tightened right up.

Worth a try. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
The QC of the ILF-fitting has gone out the window since everybody and his illegitimate brother-in-law jumped on the ILF band wagon. And dimensional control of limb butt specs is right behind it. This is especially apparent in the mass-production low-budget limb market. There ain't no free lunch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts