Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was thinking seriously about trying string walking and ILF bows for 3-d around here. I have never used metal riser bows and shot with my bow vertical. I always shot 3 under and canted my bow. I always shot by gapping at the bow and was pretty consistent out to about 25 to 30 yards. I know of no one around here that stringwalks and using olympic style bows. I am willing to try and was wondering where to start with bows,arrows, etc. I am left handed so I dont know if that affects my choices or not. I have been around archery for 20 years. I know it will take some time but am willing to put the work in. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jon

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
What are your specs in terms of DW and DL? Budget?

-Grant

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I draw 29inch but I lean a little so my draw would be longer shooting upright with better form. Most of my bows are around 55 to 60 pounds for hunting and shoot 3-d with them. I would probably stay around 45 to 50 pounds for 3-d. My budget is around 800 to 1,000.
I am a big man 6ft3inches and weigh about 330 pounds. I am an old college football lineman. I don't know if that affects anything or not.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
The fact that no one string walks around you might be a clue that there is little competition for a string walker. String walking competition usually means a lot of driving and flying.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
If he learns how? He could smoke everybody though!:shooting:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are probably right. There is a lot of compound shooters and some trad guys. I live about two hours from Tulsa and Oklahoma City and Wichita. 5 hours from DFW area. Still want to give it a try though. The best competition is always yourself.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
25" riser of the Italian variety. Long limbs of about 35#@28.

Personally I'd be looking for a used Best Moon or Zenit, maybe a Spig BB or Explorer. For limbs the SF Elite+ or Border CV would be my pick. If you are going to buy new then get the whole package from Alternative Services in the UK.

Chances are you will end-up with a +32" DL once you get your form sorted out. That will make those 35# limbs somewhere around 42-45# which will be about right.

Keep in mind that stringwalking takes an aiming problem and turns it into a tuning problem. So a decent click plunger is a good idea. Although a simple springy rest makes a great starting point.

-Grant

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
I think Grant has basically covered the equipment side. I'm going to come at this from a different angle. I'm horrified by the number of archers, even club archers, around here affected by Target Panic. If you are going to re-jig your form make sure your shot sequence is rigorously adhered to each and every shot. Make a good shot and not a good hit your goal. You must be able to calmly hold on the gold and in your own time, finish the shot.

Reactions: John in NZ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice I do appreciate it. Years ago before I moved to traditional I was a wheelie bow shooter. I was fortunate enough to be good enough to get sponsored and traveled shooting lots of IBO events. I shot indoors at Vegas some as well. I got used to the pressure and never got target panic. I guess because I was so anal about my shot sequence and form that I practiced all the time until it was second nature. I never worried when the dot was hovering around the target. It was a great learning experience and I enjoyed it at the time of my life. I now when I do go to tournaments it is local stuff and I still love it. Keep it coming guys.

Thanks again

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
The Hoyt risers are OK but you might be better off looking at a used BB riser for the stiffness. Alt Serv have the ST Elite + and Ultimate Pro on sale right now. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well once I get my xp100 finished at the gunsmith and my 17 rem built I will get the BB I think. Should I get the longest limbs I can find?
Thanks
Jon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts