Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WANTED, a nice SCHRADE Bowie Hunter knife, other Schrade-Walden large fixed-blades,like a H-15, etc.
Tell me whatcha got.
EDIT - I have all the KABAR knives I need now.....still would like a Schrade Bowie Hunter or Shrade-Walden Bowie Hunter or K-15.....other USMC knives.....

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pictures off the internet of knives like I'm after.....thanks in advance.
Note, I'm after good functional USED knives, not really that interested in new, pretty knives.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump. tell me what you gots.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey steve shoot me a email I have the Ka-bar you are looking for with sheath and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stevelong

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS MYLES & JASON.
I have enough KABAR knives now.
I'd like some of the others I started out looking for, Schrade Bowie Hunter or Shrade-Walden Bowie Hunter or K-15.....maybe other military knives....

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BUMP to top.....I's tryin' not to go to the auction site. SOMEONE GO THERE, buy one, not a perfect one, and sell to me.

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CRAIG haha how about some real pictures? OF COURSE I am interested.

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still looking. TTT

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have what you're looking for. I figured if just pop by and throw a wrench in the works. If you don't have one, you should look for one of these:
Writing implement Font Knife Pattern Office supplies

Office supplies Font Wood Material property Rectangle

Wood Rectangle Material property Font Ruler

Oh, look! My toes decided they wanted to be in the picture!

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
get them stinkin' metatarsals outta my thread. :cool:
NICE KNIFE that I've not heard of. PLENTY of them as I am a rookie to knifery.
Now I s'pose you're going to tell me either it's not for sale or trade or it was previously owned by the KING of England and you only want to trade it for my truck.

·
Registered
468 Posts
get them stinkin' metatarsals outta my thread. :cool:
NICE KNIFE that I've not heard of. PLENTY of them as I am a rookie to knifery.
Now I s'pose you're going to tell me either it's not for sale or trade or it was previously owned by the KING of England and you only want to trade it for my truck.
Not for sale or trade, as it's inherited. Not to really hard to find, and under appreciated. I did see one earlier today on fleabay for I think 75ish.

Info found when searching specifics about the knife:

World War 2 era American “Quartermaster Knife” manufactured during the war by Cattaraugus Cutlery in Cattaraugus, NY. Model 225Q fighting/utility knife (Q stands for Quartermaster) was designed as a heavy-duty knife for opening ammo boxes, cargo crates, and hammering down nails (or enemy sculls) if needed. These Quartermasters were very popular with the troops and saw action in every major military theater during the War. This particular type is illustrated on pages 88-89 in the book KNIVES OF THE UNITED STATES MILITARY WORLD WAR II by Michael W Silvey – a well-established expert an author of many books on the subject of US military edged weapons.

And

The most well known knife carried by the troops in WW2 would arguably be the Mk-2 Ka-Bar, but it wasn’t the only one. The Quartermaster 225Q design was manufactured by both Cattaraugus and Case cutlery. The 225Q is much more stout compared to the Ka-Bar with a thicker blade, bigger handle and thicker butt cap. The knife was more utilitarian compared to the Ka-Bar and could be used for a variety of jobs.

And then this:

·
Registered
468 Posts
So, Steve, as you can tell, I have no clue how Dad got hold of the knife. Since he is at mid stage with Parkinson's, has a bit of dementia, not to mention Post Polio, sometimes info can be gotten from him, but more often than not getting information from him on things he's done in the past doesn't happen. I'm assuming it's something he was issued in the late 50s early 60s while in the Air Force, or when he was in the Army before then. Could be something he picked up at a flea market, ot it could have been my grandfather's, who retired from the Army in the 70s after a 30 year career, for all I know.

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
awesome knife, thanks for sharing it & the story behind it. I will add it to my wish list. BE GRATEFUL with any good days with your DAD.

Reactions: workaholic

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi John - - I have a similar 160 Old Timer. yours - nice. explain the short version of vinegar etching?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I only know the short version! :) Learned it on the internet. Just put white vinegar in a tall glass or jar deep enough to submerge the blade. Leave overnight. Rinse wih cold water. Dry & oil immediately or rust will form real quick.

Or, wrap the blade in vinegar-soaked paper towel.

Heating the vinegar speeds the process, but I don't need speed for this. What type of vinegar to use can rise to the level of cork sniffing.

I did it because the blade gets all stained & blotchy. The etching hides that.

You can make interesting patterns by applying dabs or lines of mustard before etching with a paper towel. But for me it defeated the purpose by making the blade blotchy.

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
COOL. I might investigate that on my Schrade 160 - - blade has some scratches I might try to polish / buff out first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts