Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longbow is growing, at least it seems like it to me.

My question: Is their enough of an interest in a WA Longbow class for the Lancaster Classic?

I will post more to advertise other shoots but this one is just about the Lancaster classic, we can discuss other events later (i.e. Vegas, NFAA, and whatever else.)

2019 has some big events for longbow fans. I think the biggest challenge will be the WA 3D team trials.

I think with this event more people who have thought about longbow or maybe shot with carbon arrows because they were intimidated by wood arrows are getting their feet wet. I’ve seen posts about 70” bows and the Mins riser for instinctive class a lot. Maybe there is an energy to these parts of “traditional archery” that isn’t limited to the barebow class.

I have a deposit in for a D-shaped longbow and I plan to spend most of 2019 competing in the Longbow class. This will begin with my local state shoots, I will be using wood arrows and a longbow in NFAA TRAD. I want to get comfortable with that bow.

TAS, IBO, IFAA, WA, and USA Traditional have events to compete at for longbow. My goal is to see attendance grow and shooters to show. Barebow is growing, why can’t longbow?

The first big shoot will be the USA Indoor nationals which has the senior longbow class to shoot in. If you are planning on trying for the WA 3D team you have to have a USA Archery membership, might as well shoot the indoor nationals. With 3D beginning IBO and TAS offer some 3D options to compete in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Arcus Nuda
2,306 Posts
Yes several people including myself are gearing up the WA Longbow Team Trials. I'm not sure about Lancaster but those folks are pretty receptive to class inclusion. Wood arrows IMO have never been a huge disadvantage. Some folks might not see it that way though. I make my own woods and they are within .003 and I've shot .001 and .006 and have never seen a huge difference. Maybe it's just the yardage I play in. There can be a Longbow revival If enough of us try to make a difference.

The way I understand it the tryouts will be held at an ASA event, sometime next summer in Illinois. That is the extent of the information I have gotten from folks in the know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes several people including myself are gearing up the WA Longbow Team Trials. I'm not sure about Lancaster but those folks are pretty receptive to class inclusion. Wood arrows IMO have never been a huge disadvantage. Some folks might not see it that way though. I make my own woods and they are within .003 and I've shot .001 and .006 and have never seen a huge difference. Maybe it's just the yardage I play in. There can be a Longbow revival If enough of us try to make a difference.

The way I understand it the tryouts will be held at an ASA event, sometime next summer in Illinois. That is the extent of the information I have gotten from folks in the know.
I agree Mo0se, that's my goal is to revive the class. I'm shooting LAS, Vegas, and USA Indoors in 2019. Currently planning on using my BB rig for LAS and Vegas but I'm half tempted to show up with a LB.

I hope we can get some serious number for USA Indoors which supports the LB class. I know people got upset about NFAA but we must support what supports us and that's how you grow.

Vegas got WA BB class because Lancaster was a success and NFAA members called and said they wanted to see the change. If it's successful it may go national on the next vote.

WA 3D trials I think will be held at the April, May, or June ASA shoot which is Paris TX, Augusta GA, or London KY respectively. (Really hope it isn't May! Step sisters wedding is the 17th)

2019 ASA SCHEDULE

Foley, AL Feb. 21-24
FT. Benning, GA Mar. 21-24
Paris, TX Apr 25-28
Augusta, GA May 16-19
London, KY June 20-23
Cullman, AL Jul 18-21
Metropolis, IL Aug 15-18. The Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts