Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Tamerlane, a '67 HC30, that I've had for awhile. For grins I braced it up this morning and lacking the original brush rest(where do I find one?) I slapped a Flipper II on it and went out back to the range to play. Using some full length CE CX 100s that I scooped up awhile back and some 100 grain tips the old girl promptly slapped 3 shafts together at 15 yards with the fourth, a bare shaft, right in the middle of the wad....and what a joy to shoot!

After a few shots though I noticed the old string that came with it had popped a strand. I pulled the string and hung it back on the rack rather than risk injury....to me or her.... but made up my mind right then and there to do a full restoration and bring her back to her former glory as soon as I get a little free time.

My question: Can I use an 8190 string with well padded loops on this nice old vintage bow? I've heard yea's and nays. One will say that the nock grooves suffer and another will say they wouldn't handle the added shock of a no-stretch string. I'm thinking a well-padded string might alleviate the first concern but don't know about the shock factor. Has anyone here tried it and can offer firsthand experience?

If the consensus is a resounding "NO!" then is there anyone who'd be willing to build me a nice period-correct and appropriate string? She handles too sweet to be a rack queen. In return I'll gladly build an 8190 endless with Halo serving for your bow.....as long as you don't mind tan. That's all I have right now!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Just keep in mind that those who tell you to go ahead and use modern HMPE low stretch low creep materials will not cover your loss should something bad happen.

Go with BCY B-55. It is a polyester material, just like the old B-50. However it does have less stretch and creep than B-50, yet it is not so tough that you risk damage to the bow. It is very nice in that it significantly reduces the "BOING" feeling like the bow is strung with a bungee cord like you get with B-50.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.